Inversion of the October 27, 2004 Vrancea (Romania) earthquake using teleseismic waveforms data
- 40 Downloads
Several source parameters (depth, scalar moment, rupture velocity, focal mechanism) are determined for the moderate-size October 27, 2004 (M W = 5.8) Vrancea (Romania) intermediate-depth earthquake by inversion of teleseismic waveforms.
The Vrancea area, located in the South-Eastern part of the Carpathian Arc, is affected by the occurrence of frequent and strong intermediate-depth earthquakes. The most recent moderate shock occurred on October 27, 2004 (M W = 5.8).
In this paper we have analysed the earthquake using global data from far away stations. We used 7 P-waves and 6 S-waves readings from IRIS-GEOSCOPE networks. These stations are situated far away at epicentral distances ranging between 30° and 90°. For the waveforms inversion we applied Neighbourhood Algorithm (Sambridge 1999a, 1999b). Rupture parameters determination was based on Slip Patch Method (Vallée and Bouchon 2004) and the used program was Kimberklite (CEA/DASE, Franch).
The application of the inversion technique to teleseismic let to a fault plane solution and source parameters close to those obtained by CMT solution from global data and the solution retrieved from local data.
Keywordsfocal mechanism source inversion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ardeleanu L 1999: Modelling waveforms generated by Vrancea Earthquakes. PhD ThesisGoogle Scholar
- Havskov J, Ottemöller L 2001: SEISAN: the earthquake analysis software. Version 7.2, Institute of Solid Earth, University of BergenGoogle Scholar
- Oth A, Wenzel F, Radulian M 2007: Source parameters of intermediate-depth Vrancea (Romania) earthquakes from empirical Green’s functions modeling. Tectonophysics (in press)Google Scholar
- Radulian M 2005: Research report, Project: The producing mechanism of earthquakes from different seismic zones (in Romanian)Google Scholar
- Sambridge M 2002: Nonlinear inversion by direct search using the Neighbourhood Algorithm, In: IASPEI Handbook, Chapter 85.15Google Scholar