Eight Loci for Resistance to Ustilago tritici Race T11 Indicated in 20 Wheat Lines
Loose smut of wheat is a disease of world wide significance. Resistant cultivars constitute a potentially useful and environmentally benign method of controlling this disease. The genetic basis of resistance in 20 wheat genotypes with resistance to Ustilago tritici race T11 was studied in crosses with the widely grown but susceptible Indian cultivar, PBW 343. These lines were also involved in 10 ‘resistant × resistant’ crosses, to infer diversity for resistance genes in this set. All 30 crosses were developed to the F3 stage. Fifteen parents were inferred to carry dominant genes for resistance to race T11. Ten of these resistant lines (ML 521, W 59, W 1616, W 2484, W 2531, W 5915, W 6202, WL 1786, WL 2956 and WL 3450) had resistance controlled by 2 dominant genes acting in a complementary manner whereas in 4 lines (W 4461, W 5100, W 2615 and WL 3951), there was a single dominant gene and in a single genotype, WL 5907, there were 2 dominant genes with duplicate gene action governing the resistance. In lines W 2139, W 3899, W 4985, W 5450 and W 5792 a single recessive gene conferred resistance. Inheritance in two crosses, one derived from a line possessing a single dominant gene and the other from a line possessing a single recessive gene was re-analyzed and successfully confirmed in F5 generation. The segregation of most of the ‘resistant × resistant’ crosses conformed to the inferences drawn about the parents in the ‘resistant × susceptible’ crosses.
Keywordswheat loose smut resistance genes breeding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agrawal, R.K., Jain, K.B.L. 1965. Inheritance of resistance of N.P. 790 wheat to loose smut (Ustilago tritici). Indian J. Genet. 25:376–380.Google Scholar
- Agrawal, R.K., Rao, M.V., Joshi, A.B. 1963. Inheritance of loose smut resistance in an inter varietal cross of Triticum aestivum L. Indian J. Genet. 23:135–140.Google Scholar
- Gothwal, B.D., Pathak, V.N. 1977. Pathogenic races of Ustilago tritici in India. Indian Phytopathol. 30:311–314.Google Scholar
- Grewal, A.S., Nanda, G.S., Singh, G., Mahal, G.S. 1997. Genetic analysis of loose smut resistance in bread wheat. Crop Improv. 24:189–193.Google Scholar
- Heyne, E.G., Hansing, E.D. 1955. Inheritance of resistance to loose smut of wheat in the crosses of Kawvale × Clarkan. Phytopathol. 45:8–10.Google Scholar
- Nielsen, J., Thomas, P. 1996. Loose smut. In: Wilcoxson, R.D., Saari, E.E. (eds), Bunt and Smut Diseases of Wheat: Concepts and Methods of Disease Management. CIMMYT, Mexico, D.F., Mexico, pp. 33–47.Google Scholar
- Saini, R.G., Sharma, S.C., Gupta, A.K. 1989. Genetics of loose smut resistance in three cultivars of wheat. Plant Dis. Res. 4:12–14.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.