Realized heritability estimates during a cyclical process of selection and intercrossing in bread wheat and hexaploid triticale
This study was designed to compare realized heritability estimates for several traits of a selection index applied in rain fed bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and hexaploid triticale (× Triticosecale Wittmack) recurrent selection programs. The experimental material consisted in C4–C5 triticale and C7–C8 bread wheat S0 progenies selected disruptively and evaluated as S1 derived families. The selection differential (SD) and the response to selection (RS) were estimated from the S0 progenies and the S1 derived families, respectively, as the differences (in percent) between high and low (=100) selection index group mean values. In bread wheat, significant differences between groups of S1 derived families were observed in the 7th cycle for all the studied traits; while only significant differences for harvest index were observed in the 8th cycle. Taking into account only the statistically significant differences between high and low selection index group mean values, the realized heritability estimates for grain yield, biomass yield and grain number were lower (7.0% to 11.2%) than those obtained for 1000-grain weight and harvest index (12.3% to 20.5%). The narrow germplasm base in triticale generated insignificant response to selection results.
Keywordsrecurrent selection selection index rain fed semiarid yield
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avey, D.P. 1980. Genetic control, breeding and prediction of maturity in winter wheat. PhD, Agronomy, Purdue, Indiana.Google Scholar
- Di Rienzo, J., Guzmán, W.Y., Casanoves, F. 2001. A multiple comparisons method based on the distribution of the root node distance of a binary tree. J. Agric., Biol. and Env. Statistics 7:146–159.Google Scholar
- Fischer, K.S., Johnson, E.C., Edmeades, G.O. 1983. Breeding and selection for drought resistance in tropical maize. CIMMYT, El Batan, México.Google Scholar
- Pfeiffer, W.H., Sayre, K.D., Payne, T.S. 2001. Increasing durum wheat yield potential and yield stability. In: Research Highlights of the CIMMYT Wheat Program 1999–2000. CIMMYT, pp. 17–20.Google Scholar
- Stino, F.K.R., Samaan, S.S., Kohtla, M.G., Mizinga, K.M., Soliman, K.F.A. 1998. Divergent selection for pentobarbital-induced sedation times in mice. Int. J. Exp. and Clin. Pharm. 56:92–100.Google Scholar
- Sürek, H., Beser, N. 2005. Selection for grain yield and its components in early generations in rice (Oriza sativa L.). Trakya University J. Sci. 6:51–58.Google Scholar