Clustering anthocyanin pigmentation genes in wheat group 7 chromosomes
Two bread wheat crosses were used to genetically map the genes determining anthocyanin pigmentation of the anther (Pan-D1), culm (Pc-B1 and Pc-D1), leaf sheath (Pls-B1), and leaf blade (Plb-B1, Plb-D1). The genes cluster with Rc-1 (red coleoptile) on chromosome arms 7BS and 7DS. A germplasm panel of 37 wheat cultivars and introgression lines was tested for the presence of anthocyanin pigmentation on various plant organs, and significant correlations were established between pigmentation of the coleoptile and culm, coleoptile and leaf blade, coleoptile and anther, and anther and leaf blade.
Keywordswheat homoeoloci microsatellite mapping anthocyanin pigmentation purple culm purple anthers purple leaf
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ganal, M.W., Röder, M.S. 2007. Microsatellite and SNP markers in wheat breeding. In: Varshney, R.K., Tuberosa, R. (eds), Genomics Assisted Crop Improvement. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 1–24.Google Scholar
- Khlestkina, E.K., Pestsova, E.G., Salina, E.A., Röder, M.S., Arbuzova, V.S., Koval, S.F., Börner, A. 2002b. Molecular mapping and tagging of wheat genes using RAPD, STS and SSR markers. Cell Mol. Biol. Letters 7:795–802.Google Scholar
- Lohwasser, U., Röder, M.S., Börner, A. 2004. QTL mapping of vegetative characters in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). In: Gen. Var. Plant Breed., Proc. 17th EUCARPIA Gen. Congr., Tulln, Austria, 8–11 September, 2004, pp. 195–198.Google Scholar
- Maystrenko, O.I. 1992. The use of cytogenetic methods in ontogenesis study of common wheat. In: Ontogenetics of Higher Plants. Shtiintsa, Kishinev, pp. 98–114.Google Scholar
- McIntosh, R.A., Yamazak, Y., Devos, K.M., Dubcovsky, J., Rogers, J., Appels, R. 2003. Catalogue of Gene Symbols for Wheat. [online]. Available from: URL: http://www.grs.nig.ac.jp/wheat/komugi/genes