Genetic diversity of Aegilops crassa and its relationship with Aegilops tauschii and the D genome of wheat
Simple sequence repeat (SSR) DNA markers were used to characterize the genetic diversity in 70 accessions of Aegilops crassa from Iran as well as to determine relationships among these accessions with 9 accessions of Aegilops tauschii (subsp. tauschii and strangulata) and 5 Triticum aestivum landraces. All twenty SSR primer pairs were polymorphic and identified a total number of 149 alleles corresponding to an average of 7.5 alleles per locus. The highest and lowest PIC values were obtained in subsp. strangulata and Ae. crassa accessions, respectively. Data obtained were used to estimate genetic similarity using the Dice coefficient, and dendrogram was constructed using the UPGMA method. The dendrogram separated the 84 accessions into two main groups. All species grouped according to their genomes. A good level of genetic diversity was observed in the accessions of Ae. crassa, even in geographically close regions, which can be used in the broadening of the genetic base of bread wheat. In addition, T. aestivum and subsp. tauschii were clustered further away from Ae. crassa, confirming probably chromosomal rearrangements in the Dgenome of Ae. crassa during the processes of evolution.
Keywordsalien gene transfer SSR wheat synthetics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Appels, R., Lagudah, E.S. 1990. Manipulation of chromosomal segments from wild wheat for the improvement of bread wheat. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 17:253–266.Google Scholar
- Eig, A. 1929. Monographisch-kritische Übersicht der Gattung Aegilops. Feddes Rep. 55:1–228.Google Scholar
- Hegde, S.G., Valkoun, J., Waines, J.G. 2002. Genetic diversity in wild and weedy Aegilops, Amblyopyrum, and Secale species — a preliminary survey. Crop Sci. 42:608–614.Google Scholar
- Kihara, H., Yamashita, K., Tanaka, M., Sakamoto, S. 1957. Geographical distribution of 4× and 6× forms of Aegilops crassa. Wheat Info. Serv. 5:11–12.Google Scholar
- Rohlf, F.J. 1998. NTSYS-pc numerical taxonomy and multivariate analysis system, version 2.02. Exeter Software, Setauket, NY.Google Scholar
- van Slageren, M.W. 1994. Wild Wheats: a monograph of Aegilops L. and Amblyopyrum (Jaub. & Spach) Eig (Poaceae). Wageningen Agricultural University Papers V.7. 513 pp.Google Scholar