Winter wheat and soybean zinc uptake in different soil tillage systems
Winter wheat and soybean were grown under field conditions on chernozem soil of Knezevo, Croatia, for four years (from 2002 to 2005) in three applied soil tillage treatments: a) CT — conventional soil tillage, based on mouldboard ploughing, b) DH — soil tillage based on diskharrowing instead of ploughing; and c) NT — no-tillage. Both crops showed decreasing concentration of Zn within the plant tissue as a result of the soil tillage reduction in the order CT>DH>NT, presumably due to the limited roots growth in lesser disturbed soil at DHand NT treatments. Winter wheat recorded generally lower than optimal Zn concentrations and higher P:Zn ratios at reduced soil tillage treatments, as a result of lower Zn uptake. The recommendation for the winter wheat production by reduced soil tillage is additional Zn fertilization, whose exact amounts and way of application shall follow further research.
Keywordswinter wheat soybean conventional tillage diskharrowing no-tillage zinc uptake
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ali, T., Srivastava, P.C., Singh, T.A. 1990. The effect of zinc and phosphorus fertilization on zinc and phosphorus nutrition of maize during early growth. Pol. J. Soil Sci. 1:79–87.Google Scholar
- Bergmann, W. 1992. Nutritional Disorders of Plants. Gustav Fisher, Jena, Stuttgart, New York, 741 pp.Google Scholar
- Butorac, A., Zugec, I., Basic, F. 1986. Stanje i perspektive reducirane obrade tla u svijetu i u nas (Present situation and perspectives of the reduced soil tillage in the world and locally). Poljoprivredne aktualnosti 1–2:159–262.Google Scholar
- Carter, M.R., Gupta, U.C. 1997. Micronutrient concentrations in barley and soybean under minimum tillage on Podzolic soils in a cool climate. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica Section B-Soil And Plant Science 47:7–13.Google Scholar
- Marschner, H. 1997. Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants (second edition). Academic Ppress, San Diego, CA, USA, 889 pp.Google Scholar
- Stanislawska-Glubiak, E., Korzeniowska, J. 2005. Effect of excessive zinc content in soil on the phosphorus content in wheat plants. El. J. Pol. Agric. Univ. 8:25.Google Scholar
- Stipesevic, B., Zugec, I., Juric, I., Petrac, B. 1997. Possibility of reduced soil tillage for winter wheat in East-Croatia conditions. Proceedings of the 14 th International Soil and Tillage Research Organization (ISTRO) Conference, Pulawy, Poland. Fragmenta Agronomica 2B/97:613–616.Google Scholar