Identification of Novel ω -gliadin Gene in Aegilops tauschii Using RFLP
A RFLP approach was used to investigate polymorphism of ω -gliadin genes in Ae. tauschii using a F 2 population from the cross of accessions AUS18913 and CPI110856. A set of 150 F 2 progenies was genotyped by acid polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (A-PAGE) and only one recombinant line of Gli-Dt1/Gli-DtT1 was observed. Twelve restriction enzymes were initially tested on genomic DNA of the two parents of which four restriction enzymes revealed polymorphism. Of these four, only Dra I was associated with the novel ω -gliadin gene (T 1) using a 1,200 bp DNA fragment of a ω -gliadin gene as a gene-specific probe. The ω -gliadin gene (T 1) may be of interest for further studies relating storage proteins and wheat bread-making quality.
KeywordsRFLP ω -gliadin genes A-PAGE Ae. tauschii
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bennett, A.M. 1994. Molecular and functional studies of variant high molecular weight glutenins in the D genome of wheat. PhD Thesis, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia.Google Scholar
- D’Ovidio, R., Tanzarella, O.A., Porceddu, E. 1991. Cloning and sequencing of a PCR amplified gamma-gliadin gene from durum wheat (Triticum turgidum L. Tell. Conv. Durum (Desf. (MK.). Plant Sci. 75:229–236.Google Scholar
- Metakovsky, E.V., Chernakov, V.M., Upelniek, V.P., Redaelli, R., Dardevet, M., Branlard, G., Pogna, N.E. 1996. Recombination mapping of minor omega-gliadin-coding loci on chromosome 1A of common wheat: a revision. J. Genet. Breed. 50:277–286.Google Scholar
- Pogna, N.E., Metakovsky, E., Redaelli, R., Dachkevitch, T., Cernakov, V.M. 1995. The group 1 chromosomes of wheat contain several loci coding for gliadins. In: Li, Z.S., Xin, Z.Y. (eds), Proceedings of the 8 th International Wheat Genetics Symposium. China Agriculture Scientech Press, Beijing, China. pp. 137–140.Google Scholar
- Shewry, P.R., Halford, N.G., Tatham, A.S. 1989. The high molecular weight subunits of wheat, barley and rye: genetics, molecular biology, chemistry and role in wheat gluten structure and functionality. In: Miflin, B.J. (ed.), Oxford Surveys of Plant and Molecular Cell Biology, Oxford University Press, London 6:163–219.Google Scholar
- Sobko, T.A. 1984. Identification of a new locus which controls the synthesis of alcohol-soluble protein in the endosperm of winter common wheat. J. Agric. Sci. 7:78–80.Google Scholar
- Sozinov, A.A., Poperelya, F.A. 1980. Genetic classification of prolamines and its use for plant breeding. Ann. Technol. Agric. 29:229–245.Google Scholar
- Tkachuk, R., Mellish, J. 1980. Wheat cultivar identification by gel high voltage gel electrophoresis. Ann. Technol. Agric. 29:207–212.Google Scholar