Mapping and validation of scab resistance QTLs in the Nanda2419 × Wangshuibai population
Wangshuibai is an indigenous scab resistance germplasm originated from Jiangsu, China. To characterize the genetic basis of scab resistance in this germplasm, QTLs for type I and type II resistances were detected using a recombinant inbred line (RIL) population created by single seed descent from Nanda2419 × Wangshuibai and a molecular marker map of more than 4000 cM constructed using RAPD, SSR and STS markers. The major QTLs for type I resistance in Wangshuibai were mapped to chromosomes 4BL and 5AS, and those for type II resistance were mapped to chromosomes 3BS. In addition, a QTL on chromosome 2B showed association with both types of resistance. These QTLs were verified with QTL nearisogenic lines. We found, by mapping QTLs for agronomical traits in the same population, that on chromosomes 4BL and 5AS the scab resistance QTLs co-located with QTLs for plant height, thousand grain weight or flag leaf width. However, these associations could be break down by recombinant selection. We concluded that Wangshuibai is a valuable scab resistance gene resources and marker assisted selection would be of great help for its better utilization.
Keywordswheat FHB resistance QTL near-isogenic lines agronomical traits
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buerstmayr, H., Steiner, B., Hartl, L., Griesser, M., Angerer, N., Lengauer, D., Miedaner, T., Schneider, B., Lemmens, M. 2003. Molecular mapping of QTL for Fusarium head blight resistance in spring wheat. II. Resistance to fungal penetration and spread. Theor. Appl. Genet. 107:503–508.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lin, F., Kong, Z.X., Zhu, H.L., Xue, S.L., Wu, J.Z., Tian, D.G., Wei, J.B., Zhang, C.Q., Ma, Z.Q. 2004. Mapping QTL associated with resistance to Fusarium head blight in the Nanda 2419 × Wangshuibai population. I. Type II resistance. Theor. Appl. Genet. 109:1504–1511.Google Scholar
- Lin, F., Xue, S.L., Tian, D.G., Li, C.J., Cao, Y., Zhang, Z.Z., Zhang, C.Q., Ma, Z.Q. 2008. Mapping chromosomal regions affecting flowering time in a spring wheat RIL population. Euphytica DOI 10.1007/s10681-008-9724-3.Google Scholar
- Lin, F., Xue, S.L., Zhang, Z.Z., Zhang, C.Q., Kong, Z.X., Yao, G.Q., Tian, D.G., Zhu, H.L., Li, C.J., Cao, Y., Wei, J.B., Luo, Q.Y., Ma, Z.Q. 2006. Mapping QTL associated with resistance to Fusarium head blight in the Nanda 2419 × Wangshuibai population. II: Type I resistance. Theor. Appl. Genet. 112:528–535.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schroeder, H.W., Christensen, J.J. 1963. Factors affecting resistance of wheat to scab caused by Gibberella zeae. Phytopath. 53:831–838.Google Scholar
- Xue, S.L., Zhang, Z.Z., Lin, F., Kong, Z.X., Cao, Y., Li, C.J., Yi, H.Y., Mei, M.F., Zhao, D.M., Zhu, H.L., Xu, H.B., Wu, J.Z., Tian, D.G., Zhang, C.Q., Ma, Z.Q. 2008. A high-density intervarietal map of the wheat genome enriched with markers derived from expressed sequence tags. Theor. Appl. Genet. 117:181–189.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.