Identification of Wheat Line Yw243 on Comprehensive Resistance to Several Diseases by Pathogens and Molecular Markers
The common wheat line, YW243, developed in our research group, was tested for the resistances of barley yellow dwarf virus (BYDV), powdery mildew (Pm) and stripe rust in field, and was analyzed by molecular markers for convenient trace of the resistant genes in breeding. Genomic in situ hybridization (GISH) analysis and sodium dodecyl sulfate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) assay further demonstrated that YW243 was a homozygous multiple translocation line of Triticum aestivum, Thinopyrum intermedium and Secale cereale (T7DS·7DL-7XL & 1BL·1RS). The disease resistance test and marker analysis showed that YW243 carried seven resistance genes to the three diseases, including Bdv2 to BYDV on 7DL-7XL, Pm4 to powdery mildew on 2AL, Yr2, Yr9, Sr 31 and Lr26 and a new Yr to stripe rust on 7B, 1BL, 1RS and 2BL. Restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) markers Xpsr687 and Xwg380, sequence tagged site (STS) marker STS1700, simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers Xgwmc364 and Xgwm582, SSR markers Xgwm388 and Xgwm501 can be used as diagnostic tools to track Bdv2, Pm4, Yr2, Yr9 and Yr in YW243, respectively; and two amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP) markers M54E63-700 and M54E64-699 can also be used to select Yr in YW243.
KeywordsTriticum aestivum barley yellow dwarf virus powdery mildew stripe rust molecular markers pyramid breeding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banks, P.M., Larkin, P.J., Bariana, H.S., Lagudah, E.S., Appels, R., Waterhouse, P.M., Brettell, R.I.S., Chen, X., Xu, H.J., Xin, Z.Y., Qian, Y.T., Zhou, X.M., Cheng, Z.M., Zhou, G.H. 1995. The use of cell culture for subchromosomal introgressions of barley yellow dwarf virus resistance from Thinopyrum intermedium to wheat. Genome 38:395–405.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cauderon, Y., Saigne, B., Dauge, M. 1973. The resistance to wheat rusts of Agropyron intermedium and its use in wheat improvement. In: Proc. 4th Wheat Genet. Symp. pp. 401–407.Google Scholar
- Liang, R.Q., Zhang, Y.R., You, M.S., Mao, S.F., Song, J.M., Liu, G.T. 2002. Multi-stacking SDS-PAGE for wheat glutenin polymer and it’s relation to bread making quality. Acta Agronomica Sinica 28:609–614.Google Scholar
- Lin, F., Xu, S.C., Zhang, L.J., Miao, Q., Zei, Q., Li, N. 2005. SSR marker of wheat stripe rust resistance gene Yr2. Journal of Triticeae Crops (in Chinese) 25:17–19.Google Scholar
- Liu, J.Y., Liu, D.J., Tao, W.J., Li, W.L., Chen, P.D. 1999. Study on the conversion of RFLP markers co-segregated with Pm4a to sequenced-tagged-site markers. Journal of Agricultural Biotechnology 2:113–116.Google Scholar
- Ma, Y.Z., Tomita, T., Nakata, N. 1997. Analysis of the chromosome composition of common wheat-Agropyron intermedium partial amphiploid, Yuan Zhong 2 by in situ hybridization. Chinese Journal of Genetics 24:344–349.Google Scholar
- McIntosh, R.A., Devos K.M., Dubcovsky, J., Rogers, W.J. 2001: Catalog of gene symbols for wheat: Supplement pp 14. http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/wgc/2001upd.html
- Xin, Z.Y., Johnson, R., Law, C.N., Worland, A.J. 1984. Agenetic analysis of genes for stripe rust resistance in the winter wheat variety Feng-kang 13. Acta Agronomica Sinica (in Chinese with English abstract) 10:217–222.Google Scholar
- Xin, Z.Y., Xu, H.J., Chen, X., Lin, Z.S., Zhou, G.H., Qian, Y.T., Chen, Z.M., Larkin, P.J., Banks, P.M., Apples, R., Clarke, B., Brettell, R.I.S. 1991. Development of common wheat germplasm resistant to barley yellow dwarf virus by biotechnology. Sci. China Ser. B (in Chinese with English abstract) 34:1055–1062.Google Scholar