Association Between Glutenin Alleles and Lanzhou Alkaline Stretched Noodle Quality of Northwest China Spring Wheats. II. Relationship with the Variations at the Glu-1 Loci
Lanzhou Alkaline Stretched Noodles (LASN) has introduced by Meng et al. in previous research paper (2007). In order to discover the LASN specialty wheat quality requirement for allelic variations at Glu-1 of northwest China spring wheats, 2 northwest China spring wheat cultivars and 39 elite F6 breeding lines were adopted to determine the high-molecular-weight glutenin subunits (HMW-GS) composition by one step one-dimensional sodium dodecyl sulphate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) based on the protocol of Singh et al. (1991). The results showed that the wheat quality and LASN quality were characterised by Glu-1 alleles significantly. Glu-A1 /1 correlated to high protein content and better extensibility (L) than other allelic variations. Glu-A1 /1, Glu-B1 /17+18 and Glu-D1 /5+10 were beneficial to dough strength (W), meanwhile Glu-A1 /2* and Glu-D1 /5+10 were good to dough tenacity (P). Glu-D1 /5+10 strongly correlated to high volume of SDS-sediment significantly. Allelic variations at Glu-A1 / (1, 2*), Glu-B1 /17+18 and Glu-D1 /5+10 were beneficial alleles for wheat quality as well as LASN quality. However, Glu-A1 /null and Glu-D1 /2+12 were inferior alleles for wheat quality and LASN quality.
Keywordsspring wheat cultivars HMW-GS SDS-PAGE wheat quality Lanzhou alkaline stretched noodle quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Association of Cereal Chemists, 1988. Proved method of the AACC. Method AACC, St Paul, Minnesota, USAGoogle Scholar
- Axford, D.W.E., McDermott, E.E., Redman, D.G. 1979. Note on the sodium dodecylsulfate test of bread-making quality. Comparison with Pelshenke and Zeleny tests. Cereal Chem. 56:582–584.Google Scholar
- Kang, Z.Y. 2003. Effect of gluten quality and quantity on the hand-pulled noodles making quality. Triticeae Crops (4):1–4.Google Scholar
- Li, S.B., Shan, M.Z., Wang, Y., Li, B.Y., Zhang, S.G. 2001. Evaluation of wheat quality for wet noodle making. Acta Agronomica Sinica 27:334–337.Google Scholar
- Meng, X.G., Shang, X.W. 2001. Special flour for Lanzou hand stretched noodles. China Western Cereal & Oil Technology 26:3–6.Google Scholar
- Meng, X.G., Shang, X.W. 2005. Wheat Flour Quality Requirement for Chinese Hand Stretched Noodles I. The relationship between the noodles quality and the general quality of wheat flour. Acta Agronomica Sinica 31:481–486.Google Scholar
- Meng, X.G., Shang, X.W., Zhang, G.S. 2003. The effect of the additive of Lanzou alkaline pulled noodles on the starch pasting properties of wheat flour. Journal of Chinese Cereals and Oil Association 18:21–25.Google Scholar
- Meng, X.G., Shang, X.W., Zhang, G.S. 2004. Requirements of wheat starch pasting properties for Lanzhou alkaline stretched noodles. Journal of Chinese Cereals and Oil Association 19:49–52.Google Scholar
- Odenbach, W., Mahgoub, El-S. 1988. Relationship between HMW-GS composition and sedimentation value in reciprocal sets of inbred backcross lines drive from two winter wheat crosses. Proc. 7 th Int Wheat Genet Symp. Cambridge, pp. 987–991.Google Scholar
- Payne, P.I., Lawrence, G.J. 1983. Catalogue of alleles for the complex gene loci, Glu-A1, Glu-B1, and Glu-D1 which code for the high-molecular-weight subunits of glutenin in hexaploid wheat. Cereal Res. Comm. 11:29–35.Google Scholar
- Rogers, W.J., Miller, T.E., Payne, P.I., Seekings, J.A., Holt, L.M., Law, C.N. 1997. Introduction to bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and assessment for bread-making quality of alleles from T. boeoticum Boiss. ssp. thaoudar at Glu-A1 encoding two high-molecular-weight subunits of glutenin. Euphytica 93:19–29.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhao, H., Lu, S.Y., Li, Z.Z., 1994. The relationship between allelic variance at Glu-1 with wheat quality characters and agronomic traits. Agronomica Sinica 20:67–75.Google Scholar