The use of RAPD and AFLP markers for Characterisation of Winter Barley Genotypes for Breeding to Fusarium Head Blight Resistance
The objectives of the study were to test diversity among winter barley breeding lines exhibiting various sensitivity to FHB and to find RAPD markers and AFLP markers that will distinguish between susceptible and moderately resistant genotypes. A test of a set of winter barley genotypes artificially infected in field trials by fusaria was carried out. Based on the results from field and laboratory evaluation and deoxynivalenol (DON) content assessment, barley genotypes with different responses to FHB were selected. The genotypes were hybridized and doubled haploid (DH) lines were derived in F1 generation using the in vitro androgenesis method. Initial parental components and derived DH lines were tested for FHB infection and DON content. A set of parental genotypes of winter barley was tested with 80 RAPD markers. Based on analyses of 80 RAPD primers in a set of parental genotypes of winter barley, the primer H15 was selected that provides specific product of 650-bp size for moderately resistant winter barley genotypes. In consecutive detection, this specific product was found in 4 DH lines. During the study, some DH lines were selected that exhibited improved resistance to Fusarium infection. A low infection level and low DON content were found in the winter barley line DH 610 from the combination of Br2611m × Duet. The AFLP technique was used to analyze parental genotypes of winter barley as well as 7 selected DH lines of winter barley. The detected markers can be further evaluated and employed to select breeding materials.
Keywordswinter barley Fusarium head blight deoxynivalenol doubled haploid lines RAPD AFLP
- Agrama, H.A., Dahleen, L.S., McArthur, R.I. 2004. Cloning of AFLP Fragments Linked to Resistance Genes for Fusarium Head Blight in Barley. In: Proceedings of the 9 th International Barley Genetics Symposium, 20.–26. 6. 2004, Brno, pp. 760–762.Google Scholar
- Armstrong, K., Ho, K.M., Fedak, G., Martin, R., Butler, G., Savard, M., Xue, A., Langille, L., Sabo, F., Kuc, M., Burville, M. 2001. A Study to Identify Molecular Markers for Fusarium Head Blight in Six-Row Barley. In: Fedak, G., Choo, A. (eds), Proc. 2 nd Canadian Workshop on Fusarium Head Blight, 3–5 November 2001, Ottawa, Ontario, pp. 22–25.Google Scholar
- Buerstmayr, H., Legzdina, L., Steiner, B., Lemmens, M. 2004. Variation for Resistance to FHB in Spring Barley. In: Proceedings of the 9 th International Barley Genetics Symposium, 20.–26. 6. 2004, Brno, pp. 308–315.Google Scholar
- Geddes, J., Eudes, F., Legge, B., Tucker, J. 2005. Assessment of Artificial Inoculation Methods and Deoxynivalenol Levels in Barley Lines Representing Various Candidate Sources of Resistance to Fusarium Head Blight. In: 18 th North American Researchers Workshop and 4 th Canadian Barley Symp., July 18–20, 2005, Red Deer, Alberta. Barley Newsletter 48:20.Google Scholar
- Grewal, T.S., Rossnagel, B.G., Scoles, G.J. 2005. PCR Detection and Quantification of Fusarium Species. In: 18 th North American Researchers Workshop and 4th Canadian Barley Symp., July 18–20, 2005, Red Deer, Alberta. Barley Newsletter 48:6.Google Scholar
- Lemmens, M., Josephs, R., Schumacher, R., Grausgruber, H., Buerstmayr, H., Ruckenbauer, P., Heuhold, G., Fidesser, M., Krska, R. 1997. Head Blight (Fusarium spp.) on Wheat: Investigation on the Relationship Between Disease Symptoms and Mycotoxin Content. In: Mesterházy, Á. (ed.), Proceedings of the 5 th European Fusarium Seminar, 29.08.–5.09.1997, Szeged, pp. 459–465.Google Scholar
- Maier, Ch., Schmierer, D., Drader, T., Horsley, R., Kleinhofs, A. 2005. Saturation Mapping of Barley Chromosome 2H Fusarium Head Blight Resistance QTL. In: 18 th North American Researchers Workshop and 4 th Canadian Barley Symp., July 18–20, 2005, Red Deer, Alberta. Barley Newsletter 48:40.Google Scholar
- Steffenson, B.J. 2003. Fusarium Head Blight of Barley. In: Leonard, K.J., Bushnell, W.R. (eds), Fusarium Head Blight of Wheat and Barley. APS Press, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA, pp. 241–295.Google Scholar
- Tvaruzek, L., Ji, L., Cao, K. 2003. Reaction of Winter Wheat Genotypes from Chinese and Czech Collection to Fusarium Head Blight and Leaf Diseases. In: Dagun, Liu (ed.), Research of Plant Pathology in Hebei. China Agriculture Press 1, pp. 94–100.Google Scholar
- Vagera, J., Ohnoutkova, L. 1993. In vitro production of and rogenesis in wheat and barley. Rostlinna vyroba 39:97–114.Google Scholar
- Zhu, Z., Cao, W., Lu, W., Fedak, G., Armstrong, K. 2001. Identification of AFLP Marker for Fusarium Head Blight Resistance in Wheat. In: Fedak, G., Choo, A. (eds), Proc. 2 nd Canadian Workshop on Fusarium Head Blight, 3–5 November 2001, Ottawa, Ontario, pp. 44–45.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.