Morphological, Cytogenetic and Molecular Identification of a New Triticale
Rye (Secale cereale) plays an important role in wheat improvement. Here we report a new triticale, named Fenzhi-1, derived from the wide cross MY11 (Triticum aestivum) × Jingzhou (Secale cereale) after the in vitro rye pollen has been irradiated by He-Ne laser. Morphologically, Fenzhi-1 is characterized by branched-spikes. Genetically, Fenzhi-1 displays stable fertility and immunity to wheat powdery mildew and stripe rust. In situ hybridization (FISH) and seed storage protein electrophoresis revealed that Fenzhi-1 is a new primary hexaploid triticale (AABBRR). The present study not only provides a new method to synthesize an artificial species, but also shows that Fenzhi-1 could be a valuable source for wheat improvement.
Keywordstriticale He-Ne laser in situ hybridization branched-spike
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bao, W.K. 1984. Evaluation of Primary Strains in Breeding Work of Octoploid Triticale. Proc. Eucarpia Mtg. Triticale, Clermont-Ferrand, France, pp. 121–124.Google Scholar
- Lapinski, B., Lukaszewski, A.J., Sodkiewicz, W., Apolinarska, B. 1980. The recombinants of two 4× wheat in crosses with rye. Hodowla Rosl. Aklim. Nasienn 24:543–550.Google Scholar
- Lein, A. 1943. Die genetische Grundlage der Kreuzbarkeit zwischen Weizen und Roggen. Z. Indukt. Abstamm. u. Vererbungslehre 81:28–61.Google Scholar
- Leonova, I.N., Dobrovolskaya, O.B., Kaminskaya, L.N., Adonina, I.G., Koren, L.V., Khotyljova, L.V., Salinal, E.A. 2005. Molecular analysis of the Triticale lines with different Vrn gene systems using microsatellite markers and hybridization in situ. Russian Journal of Genetics 41:1014–1020.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lukaszewski, A.J., Gustafson, P. 1987. Cytogenetics of triticale. In: Janick, J. (ed.), Plant Breeding Reviews 5. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. New York, pp. 41–93.Google Scholar
- Sears, E.R., Miller, T.E. 1985. The history of Chinese Spring wheat. Cereal Res. Comm. 13:261–263.Google Scholar
- Zhang, X.Z., Zeng, J.F. 1995. A study of the effect on wheat distant hybridization by He-Ne laser irradiation. Laser Journal 16:83–88.Google Scholar