Protein Fractions in Barley Grains as Affected by Some Agronomic Factors and Their Relationships to Malt Quality
The effects of sowing date, nitrogen application level and timing on barley protein components and malt quality were investigated. There was a significant difference in total protein and its protein fractions among the four barley genotypes. The protein component was changeable over the different growing conditions, and the extent of change varied with protein fraction and genotype. Marked variation in malt quality over the different environments (sowing date, N fertilizer rate and applying time) was also observed. Increased N fertilizer application increased diastatic power (DP) value, but reduced malt extract. Grain protein content was significantly and positively correlated with albumin, globulin and hordein, but was not correlated with glutelin. However, glutelin was significantly related to other malt quality parameters.
Keywordsbarley (Hordeum vulgare L.) protein protein fractions malt quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, J.X., Zhang, G.P., Wang, J.M., Chen, Z.H., Zhou, T.Y. 2004. The effects of regime of n application on barley β-glucanase activity and malt quality. Acta Agron. Sinica 1:47–51.Google Scholar
- Duffus, C.M., Cochrane, M.P. 1993. Formation of the barley grain — Morphology, physiology and biochemistry. In: MacGregor, A.W., Bhatty, R.S. (eds), Barley: Chemistry and Technology, AACC, St. Paul, Minnesota, USA. pp. 31–72.Google Scholar
- European Brewery Convention. (1975) Analytica EBC, 3rd ed.Google Scholar
- Evans, E., van Wegen, B., Ma, Y.F., Eglinton, J. 2003. The impact of the thermostability of α-amylase, β-amylase, and limit dextrinase on potential wort fermentability. J. Am. Soc. Brew. Chem. 61:210–218.Google Scholar
- Osborne, T.B. 1924. The Vegetable Proteins. New York, Longmans Green and Co.Google Scholar
- Smith, D.B. 1990. Barley seed protein and its effects on malting and brewing quality. Plant Var. Seeds 3:63–80.Google Scholar
- Tang, Q.Y., Feng, M.G. 1997. Practiced Statistical Analysis and Data Processing System. China Agricultural Press, Beijing, pp. 67–76.Google Scholar