Identification of Novel Variants of High Molecular Weight Glutenin Subunits in Indian Bread Wheat Landraces
The High Molecular Weight Glutenin Subunits (HMW GS) in bread wheat landraces were studied using the SDS-PAGE technique. Out of the 32 landraces, 23 were homogeneous while nine showed heterogeneity with respect to the HMW glutenin subunits. Novel variants were observed in HMW GS in four of the landraces. One novel subunit coded by the Glu-B1x locus and two novel subunit pairs at the Glu-D1 locus were identified. A modified system of nomenclature over that of Payne and Lawrence (1983) is suggested for numbering the new subunits. Accordingly, the novel subunits are numbered as 71 (Glu-B1x) and 2+122; 51+122; 52+123 and 53+123(Glu-D1x + y) and the allelic designations are given as Glu-B1 bh for 71+9; Glu-D1bp for 2+122. Glu-D1bq for 51+12; Glu-D1br for 51+122; GluD1br for 52+123 and GluD1bt for 53+123.
KeywordsHigh Molecular Weight Glutenin Subunits wheat novel subunits Glu-1
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bietz, J.A., Shepherd, K.W., Wall, J.S. 1975. Single-kernel analysis of glutenin: use in wheat genetics and breeding. Cereal Chem. 52:513–532.Google Scholar
- Gupta, R.K. 2004. HMW glutenin subunits in: T aestivum. In: Gupta, R.K. et al. (eds). DWR Progress Report, 2004, Wheat Quality, AICW&BIP Section, p. 41.Google Scholar
- http://shigen.lab.nig.ac.jp/wheat/komugi/genes/download.jsp for HMWGS designations and gene symbols
- Marigiotta, B., Colaprico, G., D’Ovidio, R., Laflianda, D. 1993. Characterization of high-Mr Subunits of glutenin by combined chromatographic (RP-HPLC) and electrophoresis separations and restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) analyses of their encoding genes. J. Cereal Sci. 17:221–236.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Misra, B.K., Singh, Anju M., Deveshwar, J.J., Pandey, H.N., Ahlawat, A.K. 2005.’ Pissi Local’ an Indian Wheat Germplasm with Unique Quality Features. Abstracts: Poster presented at National Symposium on “Wheat Improvement for the Tropical Areas” held at Coimbatore, September 23–25 P. Full paper in press.Google Scholar
- Ng, P.K.W., Bushuk, W. 1988. Statistical relationships between high molecular weight subunits of glutenin and breadmaking quality of Canadian grown wheats. Cereal Chem. 65 (5):408–413.Google Scholar
- Payne, P.I., Lawrence, C.J. 1983. Catalogue of alleles for the complex gene loci, Glu A-1, Glu B-1 and Glu D-1, which code for the high molecular weight subunits of glutenin in hexaploid wheat. Cereal Res. Comm. 11:29–35.Google Scholar
- Pogna, N.E., Mellini, F., Beretta, A., Dalbelin Peruffo, A. 1989. The high-molecular-weight glutenin subunits of common wheat cultivars grown in Italy. J. Genet and Breed. 43:17–24.Google Scholar