Influence of Potassium Dihydrogen Phosphate on Callus Induction and Plant Regeneration in Rice (Oryza sativa L.)
The effect of potassium dihydrogen phosphate (KH2PO4) on callus induction and plant regeneration from callus cultures of indica rice (Oryza sativa cultivar Pusa Basmati-1) was investigated. Callus was induced on Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium supplemented with 11.31 μM 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) and subsequent plant regeneration was obtained on MS medium containing 2.68 μM α-naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA) and 8.87 μM 6-benzylaminopurine (BAP). Both the induction and the regeneration media were supplemented with different levels of KH2PO4 (0 to12.50 mM). The level of KH2PO4 in the induction medium influenced the percent water content of the callus. KH2PO4 was found to be essential for plant regeneration as no shoot regeneration occurred in the absence of KH2PO4. Highest number of shoots per expiant was obtained when KH2PO4 level in the callus induction and plant regeneration medium was 0.625 mM (half of MS level) and 1.25 mM (normal MS level) respectively. By making amendments and modifications of the KH2PO4 level in the induction medium, the regeneration increased 2.5 folds. Almost similar regeneration frequency was observed from callus induced on lower levels of KH2PO4. Regenerated shoots were rooted on MS medium supplemented with 2.68 μM NAA. Rooted plantlets were transferred to soil where they survived and set seeds.
Key-wordspotassium dihydrogen phosphate callus induction plant regeneration water content indica rice
- Abdullah R, Cocking EC, Thompson JA (1986) Efficient plant regeneration from rice protoplasts through somatic embryogenesis. Bio/Technol 4:1087–1090Google Scholar
- Dahleen LS (1995) Improved plant regeneration from barley callus cultures by improved copper levels. Plant Cell Tiss Organ Cult 43:267–269Google Scholar
- Jain RK, Jain S, Wu R (1996) Stimulatory effect of water stress on plant regeneration of aromatic indica rice varieties. Plant Cell Rep 15:1449–1459Google Scholar
- Khanna HK, Raina SK (1997) Enhanced plant regeneration in basmati rice (Oryza sativa L. cv. Karnal Local) embryo calli through modification of NO3- + NH4+ concentrations. J Biochem Biotech 6:75–80Google Scholar
- Nirwan RS, Kothari SL (2003) High copper levels improve callus induction and plant regeneration in Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench. In Vitro Cell Dev Bio 2:165–168Google Scholar
- Preece JE (1995) Can nutrient salts partially substitute for plant growth regulators? Plant Tiss Cult Biotech 1:26–37Google Scholar
- Purnhauser L (1991) Stimulation of shoot and root regeneration in wheat Triticum aestivum callus cultures by copper. Cereal Res Comm 19:419–423Google Scholar
- Raval M, Chattoo BB (1993) Role of media constituents and proline in callus growth, somatic embryogenesis and regeneration of Oryza sativa cv indica. Ind J Exp Bio 31:600–603Google Scholar
- Sahrawat AK, Chand S (2002) Influence of ammonium nitrate on plant regeneration in indica rice (Oryza sativa Linn.). Ind J Biotech 1:367–371Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.