Boric Acid-Induced Effects on Protein Profiles of Galleria Mellonella Hemolymph and Fat Body
The dietary effects of boric acid (BA) on the protein profiles of greater wax moth. Galleria mello-nella (L.), were investigated in hemolymph and fat body of final instar (VIIth) and pupae. The insects were reared from first-instar larvae on an artificial diets containing 156, 620, 1250 or 2500 ppm of BA. We detected many undetermined protein fractions (6.5–260 kDa) in addition to well-defined protein fractions such as lipophorins and storage proteins in the tissues by using sodium dodecyl-sulphate Polyacrylamide gradient gel electrophoresis. A marked quantitative change in the 45 kDa protein fraction of the hemolymph was observed in the Vllth instar larvae reared on 2500 ppm dietary BA.
KeywordsGalleria mellonella boric acid protein profiles hemolymph fat body
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bollag, D. M., Rozycki, M. D., Edelstein, S. I (1996) Protein Methods. John Wiley & Sons Inc. Publication, 2nd edition, New York, Chichester, Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore.Google Scholar
- 4.Bronskill, J. (1961) A cage to simplify the rearing of the greater wax moth. Galleria mellonella (Pyralidae). Journal of the Lepidopterist’s Society 15, 102–104.Google Scholar
- 6.Charriere, J. D., Imdorf, A. (1997) Protection of honeycombs from moth damage. Swiss Bee Research Center Federal Dairy Research Station, Communication, Nr. 24.Google Scholar
- 13.Halliwell, B., Gutteridge, J. M. C. (1999) Free Radical in Biology and Medicine. Third ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- 16.Hyršl, P., Šimek, V. (2005) An analysis of hemolymph protein profiles during the final instar, prepupa and pupa of the silkworm Bombyx mori (Lepidoptera, Bombycidae). Biologia 60, 207–213.Google Scholar
- 17.I˙çen, E., Armutçu, F., Büyükgüzel, K., Gürel, A. (2005) Biochemical stress indicators of greater wax moth Galleria mellonella L. exposure to organophosphorus insecticides. J. Econ. Entomol. 98, 358–366. mot. Galleria mellonella L. exposure to organophosphorus insecticides. J. Econ. Entomol. 98, 358–366CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Marshak, D. R., Kadonaga, J. T., Burgess, R. R., Kunth, M. W., Brennan, W. A. Jr., Lin, S. H. (1993) Strategies for Protein Purification and Characterization, a Laboratory Course Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 27.Neoliya, N. K., Singh, D., Sangawan, R. (2005) Azadiractin influences total head protein content o. Helicoverpa armigera Hub. larvae. Current Science 88, 1889–1990.Google Scholar
- 30.Scharf, M. E., Siegfried, B. D., Meinke L. I., Wright, R. I., Chandler, L. D. (2000) Cytochrome P450-mediated N-demethylation activity and induction in insecticide-resistant and susceptible western corn rootworm populations (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 67, 137–143.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.