Induction of Programmed Cell Death in Aging Prorocentrum donghaiense Cells as was Evidenced Preliminarily by the Identification of Associated Transcripts
Prorocentrum donghaiense caused large-scale red tides off Chinese coast in recent years. Expressed sequence tag (EST) analysis was carried out for this dinoflagellate in order to identify the genes involved in its proliferation and death. A cDNA library was constructed for P. donghaiense at late exponential growth phase, and 308 groups of EST were generated, which include 36 contigs and 272 singletons. Among 22 groups showed homologies with known genes, 2 matched significantly with caspase and proliferating cell nuclear antigen. Caspase and proliferating cell nuclear antigen are 2 key proteins involved in programmed cell death. Their identification evidenced preliminarily the induction of PCD in aging P. donghaiense. The identified included also calmodulin and protein phosphatase, two proteins involved in diverse cell processes including PCD by binding to or modifying others.
KeywordsProrocentrum donghaiense expressed sequence tag programmed cell death
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work work was supported by grants from The Key Laboratory of Mariculture of Education Ministry of China affiliated to Ocean University of China (Grant No. 200405), National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 30471318) and The Ministry of Science and Technology of China (Grant No. 2005CCA02400) to G. Yang, and a grant from The Ministry of Science and Technology of China (Grant No. 2001CB409700) to M. Zhu.
- 5.Bidle, K. D., Falkowski, P. G. (2004) Cell death in planktonic, photosynthetic microorganisms. Nature Review. 2, 643–655.Google Scholar
- 13.Lu, D. D., Qi, Y. Z., Jeanette, G., Zou, J. Z., Gao, Y. H. (2003) Re-description of Prorocentrum dong-haiense Lu and comparison with relevant Prorocentrum species. Chinese Journal of Applied Ecolog. 14, 1060–1064.Google Scholar
- 24.Wahlund, T. M., Hadaegh, A. R., Clark, R., Nguyen, B., Fanelli, M., Read, B. A. (2004) Analysis of expressed sequence tags from calcifying cells of marine coccolithophorid (Emiliania huxleyi). Marine Biotechnolog. 6, 278–290.Google Scholar
- 25.Wang, J. H., Huang, X. Q. (2003) Ecological characteristics of Prorocentrum dentatum and the cause of harmful algal bloom formation in China Sea. Chinese Journal of Applied Ecolog. 14, 1065–1069.Google Scholar
- 26.Zhang, B. Y., Wang, G. C., Qi, Y. Z., Zou, J. Z., Zeng, C. K. (2005) Identification of two species of dinoflagellate using fluorescence in situ hybridization. High Technology Letter. 15, 101–105.Google Scholar
- 27.Zhang, B. Y., Wang, G. C., Zhang, Y., Han, X. T., Lu, S. J., Qi, Y. Z., Zou, J. Z., Zeng, C. K. (2004) Cloning and sequence analysis of 5.8s rDNA and ITS region from Prorocentrum donghaiense and P. micans APBM. Oceanologia et Limnologia Sinic. 35, 264–272.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.