Activity of Superoxide Dismutase (Sod) and Concentration of Thiobarbituric Acid Reactive Substances (Tbars) in Liver and Muscles of Some Fish
In this study we examined superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) concentration in liver and muscles of four fish species: the carp, the brown trout, the white cod and the flounder. Higher SOD activity and higher TBARS concentration was revealed in the tissues of marine fish in comparison to freshwater fish. The highest SOD activity was observed in the cod while the highest TBARS concentration was in the flounder. The observed differences are probably an effect of the different living mode of the compared fish.
KeywordsAntioxidant enzymes cod flounder trout carp
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Buege, J. A., Aust, S. D. (1978) Microsomal lipid peroxidation. In: Fleisher, S., Parker, I. (eds) Methods in Enzymology. Academic Press, New York, pp. 302–310.Google Scholar
- 2.Gabryelak, T., Peres, G. (1986) Comparative antioxidant enzyme and lipid peroxidation study in erythrocytes and liver of some freshwater fish. Acta Biol. Hung. 46, 219–224.Google Scholar
- 3.Janssens, B. J., Childress, J. J., Baguet, F., Rees, J. F. (2000) Reduced enzymatic antioxidative defense in deep-sea fish. J. Exp. Biol. 46, 3717–3725.Google Scholar
- 5.Lowry, O. H., Rosenbrough, N. J., Farr, A. L., Randall, R. J. (1951) Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 46, 265–275.Google Scholar
- 6.Misra, H. P., Fridovich, J. (1972) The role of superoxide anion in the antioxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase. J. Biol. Chem. 46, 3170–3175.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.