Grain Yield of Durum Wheat as Affected by Waterlogging at Tillering
Waterlogging is one of the limiting factors influencing durum wheat (Triticum durum L.) production. In this paper we investigated the impact of seven waterlogging durations of 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 40, and 60 days, imposed at 3-leaf and 4-leaf growth stages, on grain yield, grain yield components, straw and root dry weight and nitrogen concentration of grain, straw, and roots of two varieties of durum wheat. Grain yield of both varieties showed a significant reduction only when waterlogging was prolonged to more than 20 days, and 40-d and 60-d waterlogging reduced grain yield by 19% and 30%. Waterlogging depressed grain yield preventing many culms from producing spikes. It slowed down spikelet formation, consequently reducing the number of spikelets per spike, and reduced floret formation per spikelet, thus reducing the number of kernels per spike.
Keywordsdurum wheat roots spikelet initiation tillering waterlogging
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ghobadi, M.E., Ghobadi, M. 2010. Effect of anoxia on root growth and grain yield of wheat cultivars. World Acad. Sci. Eng. Technol. 70:85–88.Google Scholar
- Ghobadi, M.E., Ghobadi, M., Zebarjadi, A. 2011. The response of winter wheat to flooding. World Acad. of Sci., Engineering and Technol. 78:440–442.Google Scholar
- Hossain, M.A., Uddin, S.N. 2011. Mechanisms of waterlogging tolerance in wheat: Morphological and metabolic adaptations under hypoxia or anoxia. Aust. J. Crop Sci. 5:1094–1101.Google Scholar
- Rasaei, A., Ghobadi, M.E., Jalali-Honarmand, S., Ghobadi, M., Saeidi, M. 2012. Impacts of waterlogging on shoot apex development and recovery effects of nitrogen on grain yield of wheat. Eur. J. Exp. Bio. 2:1000–1007.Google Scholar
- Sayre, K.D., Van Ginkel, M., Rajaram, S., Ortiz-Monasterio, I. 1994. Tolerance to waterlogging losses in spring bread wheat: effect of time of onset on expression. Annu. Wheat Newslet. 40:165–171.Google Scholar
- Steel, R.G.D., Torrie, J.H., Dickey, D.A. 1997. Principles and procedures of statistics: A biometrical approach. 3rd Ed. McGraw-Hill. New York, USA.Google Scholar