Using Markers and Field Evaluation to Identify the Source of Eyespot Resistance Gene Pch1 in the Collection of Wheat Breeding Lines
Pch1 gene translocated from Aegilops ventricosa provides effective resistance to eyespot in wheat. To track the Pch1 gene introgression, we investigated 372 genotypes obtained from various breeding programs using endopeptidase EpD1b marker, sequence-tagged-site (STS) marker XustSSR2001-7DL, and the score of infection index (K-index) evaluated after in vivo inoculation test. These genotypes were divided into three groups with 136, 124 and 112 genotypes for the field test lasting three years. In 2011, the mean K-index was 0.81, while 2012 and 2013 the mean K-indexes were 1.60 and 1.46, respectively. Both marker results indicated that 18 genotypes possessed Pch1 gene. Statistical analysis of the level of K-index showed that these 18 genotypes were resistant to eyespot, which verified the proper assignment of wheat genotypes with Pch1 gene based on the marker data. Thus, the endopeptidase and XustSSR2001-7DL are useful for identifying sources of eyespot resistance gene Pch1 in wheat breeding program.
Keywordsendopeptidase eyespot disease inoculation tests isozyme STS marker Triticum aestivum
This work was financed by the Ministry of Agronomy and Rural Development (HOR hn - 801 - 11/13).
- Crous, P.W., Groenewald, J.Z.E., Gams, W. 2003. Eyespot of cereals revisited. Its phylogeny reveals new species relationships. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 109:841–850.Google Scholar
- Glynne, M.D. 1944. Eyespot, Cercosporella herpotrichoides Fron, and lodging of wheat. Ann. Appl. Biol. 31:377–378.Google Scholar
- Gomez, K.A., Gomez, A.A. 1984. Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research. 2nd ed. J. Wiley. New York, USA.Google Scholar
- Jahier, J., Doussinault, G., Dosba, F., Bourgeois, F. 1978. Monosomic analysis of resistance to eyespot in the variety „Roazon” In: Ramanujam, S. (ed.), Proc. of the 5th Int. Wheat Genet. Symp. Indian Agricultural Research Institute. New Dehli, India. pp. 437–440.Google Scholar
- Janczewska, A. 1991. Yield loss of winter wheat as influenced by the intensity of Pseudocercosporella herpotrichoides (Fron.) attack. Phytopathologia Polonica 1(XIII):41–44.Google Scholar
- Korbas, M., 2004. Choroby i szkodniki zbóż (Diseases and pests of cereals). Multum. Poznań, PolandGoogle Scholar
- Leonard, J.M., Watson, C.J.W., Carter, A.H., Hansen, J.L., Zemetra, R.S., Santra, D.K., Campbell, K.G., Riera-Lizarazu, O. 2008. Identification of a candidate gene for the wheat endopeptidase Ep-D1 locus and two other STS markers linked to the eyespot resistance gene Pch1. Theor. Appl. Genet. 116:261–270.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lucas, J.A., Dyer, P.S., Murray, T.D. 2000. Pathogenicity, host specificity, and population biology of Tapesia spp., causal agents of eyespot disease in cereals. Advances in Bot. Res. 33:226–258.Google Scholar
- Maia, N. 1967. Obtention de blés tendres résistants au piétin-verse par croisements interspécifiques blés × Aegilops. (Obtaining soft wheat resistant to eyespot by interspecific crosses wheat × Aegilops) Comptesrendus des Seances de l’Academie d’Agriculture de France (Reports of the France Academy of Agriculture) 53:149–154.Google Scholar
- McMillin, D.E., Tuleen, N.A. 1977. Determination of the linkage relationships and the gene centromere genetic distances for endopeptidase structural genes in hexaploid wheat. Genetics 86(Suppl.):44.Google Scholar
- Mena, M., Doussinault, G., Lopez-Brana, I., Aguaded, S., Garcia-Olmedo, F., Delibes, A., 1992. Eyespot resistance gene Pch-1. H-93 wheat lines. Evidence of linkage to markers of chromosome group 7 and resolution from the endopeptidase locus Ep-D1b. Theor. Appl. Genet. 83:1044–1047.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Murray, T.D. 2010. Eyespot (Strawbreaker foot rot). In: Bockus, W.W., Bowden, R.L., Hunger, R.M., Murray, T.D., Smiley, R.W., Morrill, W. (eds), Compendium of Wheat Diseases and Insects. Third Ed. APS Press. Minneapolis, MN, USA. pp. 32–34.Google Scholar
- Shi, J.R., Song, Q.J., Singh, S., Lewis, J., Ward, R.W., Cregan, P., Gill, B.S. 2003. Genetic and physical maps of XBARC SSR loci in wheat. In: Proc. 2003 Natl. Fusarium Head Blight. http://www.scabusa.org/, pp. 41–45.
- Sprague, R. 1936. Relative susceptibility of certain species of Gramineae to Cercosporella herpotrichoides. J. of Agric. Res. 53:659–670.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.