Preparation of Lewis acid ionic liquids for one-pot synthesis of benzofuranol from pyrocatechol and 3-chloro-2-methylpropene
- 14 Downloads
Several Lewis acid ionic liquids (LAILs) with different acidic scales were synthesised and used as catalysts for the synthesis of benzofuranol by condensation of pyrocatechol and 3-chloro-2-methylpropene in one pot. The catalytic activity of these ionic liquids was correlated with their Lewis acidity. Low to moderate conversion with excellent selectivity to benzofuranol was obtained in the presence of the appropriate LAILs. Compared to the two-step synthetic method currently used in industry, a higher yield plateau (81.1%) of benzofuranol was achieved in the presence of [BMIm][AlCl4] IL as catalyst at 418 K after 4 h. Furthermore, the catalyst is readily separated from the resultant products via decantation and could be reused after treatment in vacuum.
Keywordsbenzofuranol condensation Lewis acid ionic liquid acidity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kossakowski, J., & Ostrowska, K. (2006). Synthesis of new derivatives of 2,3-dihydro-7-benzo[b]furanol with potential pharmacological avtivity. Acta Poloniae Pharmaceutica, 63, 271–275.Google Scholar
- Seo, J., Kang, S. I., Won, D., Kim, M., Ryu, J. Y., Kang, S. W., Um, B. H., Pan, C. H., Ahn, J. H., Chong, Y., Kanaly, R. A., Han, J., & Hur, H. G. (2011). Absolute configuration-dependent epoxide formation from isoflavan-4-ol stereoisomers by biphenyl dioxygenase of Pseudomonas pseudoalcaligenes strain KF707. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 89, 1773–1782. DOI: 10.1007/s00253-010-2989-1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tamura, K., Kato, Y., Ishikawa, A., Kato, Y., Himori, M., Yoshida, M., Takashima, Y., Suzuki, T., Kawabe, Y., Cynshi, O., Kodama, T., Niki, E., & Shimizu, M. (2003). Design and synthesis of 4,6-di-tert-butyl-2,3-dihydro-5-benzofuranols as a novel series of antiatherogenic antioxidants. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 46, 3083–3093. DOI: 10.1021/jm030062a.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang, Y., Luo, X. F., Hu, A. X., Zhang, J. Y., & Yang, L. T. (2011). Synthesis of carbofuran phenol by aluminiumisopropoxide carboxylate. Chinese Journal of Organic Chemistry, 31, 1127–1130.Google Scholar
- Yang, L., Qin, L. H., Bligh, S. W. A., Bashall, A., Zhang, C. F., Zhang, M. A., Wang, Z. T., & Xu, L. S. (2006). A new phenanthrene with a spirolactone from Dendrobium chrysanthum and its anti-inflammatory activies. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 14, 3496–3501. DOI: 10.1016/j.bmc.2006.01.004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar