Histological description of Cercaria etgesii Shchenkov, 2017 daughter sporocysts (Trematoda: Pleurogenidae): compartmentalization of the brood cavity and germinal mass morphology
Morphology of the daughter sporocysts of Cercaria etgesii Shchenkov, 2017 (Pleurogenidae) has been described according to conventional histological techniques and subsequent 3D reconstruction with BitplaneImaris® software. Novel data were obtained concerning the spatial organization of the brood cavity of Pleurogenidae daughter sporocysts. It was shown that the laminated structures of the endocyst are lining the brood cavity and carry out its compartmentalisation by formation of the chambers around developing and disintegrating embryos of cercariae. First description of the germinal mass of the Pleurogenidae daughter sporocysts is given. No mitoses in germinal mass were evident although apparent production of the cercariae embryos by the sporocysts take place. The analogous principle of daughter sporocysts morphofunctional organisation was noted for the studied representatives of closely related taxa of trematodes: Pleurogenidae (C. etgesii) and Microphallidae (Microphallus ‘pygmaeus’ group).
KeywordsCercaria etgesii Bithynia tentaculata daughter sporocysts germinal mass embryos development endocyst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dobrovolskij A.A. 1975. Some patterns in evolution of mother sporocysts of trematodes of the suborder Plagiorchiata. Ekologicheskaya i Eksperimentalnaya Parazitologiya (Ecological and experimental parasitology), 1, 96–108. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Dobrovolskij, A.A., Ataev G.L. 2003. The Nature of Reproduction of Trematodes Rediae and Sporocysts. In: (Eds C. Combes and J. Jourdane) Taxonomy, ecology, and evolution of metazoan parasites. Perpignan, France, Presses Universitaires de Perpignan, pp. 249–272Google Scholar
- Dobrovolskij, A.A., Galaktionov, K.V., Mukhamedov, G.K., Sinha B.K., Tihomirov I.A. 1983. Parthenogenetic generations of trematodes. Trudy Leningradskogo Obshestva Estestvoispytatelei, Leningrad, Izdatel’stvo Leningradskogo Universiteta, pp. 108. (In Russian)Google Scholar
- Franco-Acuña, D.O., Pinheiro, J., Oliveira-Menezes, A., Brandolini S.V.P.B., DaMatta R. A., de Souza W. 2011. Light and scanning electron microscopy of sporocysts of Eurytrema coelomaticum (Giard et Billet, 1892) Looss, 1907. Veterinary Parasitology, 177, 72–78. DOI: 10.1016/j.vetpar.2010.11.038Google Scholar
- Kremnev, G.A., Shchenkov, S.V., Dobrovolskij A.A. 2017. Morphology and functional dynamics of trematode ovaries: from genital system primordium in cercariae to adults germarium. In: ICIM IV International Congress on Invertebrate Morphology Program and Abstracts, Moscow, Russia, pp. 182Google Scholar
- Nesterenko, L.T., Panin, V.Y., Fedoseenko V.M. 1980. The structure of the endocyst in daughter sporocyst of Eurytrema pancreaticum (Janson, 1889). Folia Parasitologica, 27, 131–133Google Scholar
- Pinheiro, J., Maldonado, A., Attias, M.J., Lanfredi R.M. 2004. Morphology of the rediae of Echinostoma paraensei (Trematoda: Echinostomatidae) from its intermediate host Lymnaea columella (Mollusca, Gastropoda). Parasitology Research, 93, 171–177. DOI: 10.1007/s00436-004-1110-zCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sannia, A., James, B.L., Bowers E.A. 1978. The morphology of Cercaria cerastodermae I nom. nov. (Monorchiidae) (=Cercaria lepidapedon rachion (Cobbold, 1858) sensu Lebour, 1908) a rare digenean parasite of the cockle in Britain. Journal of Natural History, 12, 487–500. DOI: 10.1080/00222937800770351CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shchenkov, S.V., Kremnev, G.A., Smirnov P.A. 2016. Nervous system organization in sporocysts of Plagiorchis sp. (Trematoda: Plagiorchiidae) and Cercaria etgesii (Trematoda: Lecithodendroidea). In: Lomonosov–2016, Program and Abstracts, Moscow, Russia, pp. 174. (In Russian)Google Scholar
- Zdárská Z. 1979. Morphology, histochemistry and ultrahistochemistry of the endocyst in developing and expelled sporocysts of Eurytrema pancreaticum. Folia Parasitologica, 26, 309–312Google Scholar