Neurotrophic mechanisms in drug addiction
The involvement of neurotrophic factors in neuronal survival and differentiation is well established. The more recent realization that these factors also play pivotal roles in the maintenance and activity-dependent remodeling of neuronal functioning in the adult brain has generated excitement in the neurosciences. Neurotrophic factors have been implicated in the modulation of synaptic transmission and in the mechanisms underlying learning and memory, mood disorders, and drug addiction. Here the evidence for the role of neurotrophins and other neurotrophic factors—and the signaling pathways they activate—in mediating long-term molecular, cellular, and behavioral adaptations associated with drug addiction is reviewed.
Index EntriesBrain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) Trk receptor nucleus accumbens ventral tegmental area cocaine, morphine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Batchelor, P. E., Liberatore, G. T., Porritt, M. J., Donnan, G. A., Howells, D. W. (2000) Inhibition of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor expression reduces dopaminergic sprouting in the injured striatum. Eur. J. Neurosci. 12, 3462–3468.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Beitner-Johnson, D., and Nestler, E. J. (1993a) Chronic morphine impairs axoplasmic transport in the mesolimbic dopamine system of the rat brain. Neuro Report 5, 57–60.Google Scholar
- Bolanos, C. A., Olson, V. G., Eisch, A. J., Russell, D. S., Neve, R. L., Nestler, E. J. (2001) Viral-mediated expression of phospholipase C-gamma 1 and insulin receptor substrate-2 in the ventral tegmental area regulates sensitivity to drugs of abuse in rats. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 27, Google Scholar
- Ceccatelli, S., Ernfors, P., Villar, M. J., Persson, H., Hokfelt, T. (1991) Expanded distribution of mRNA for nerve growth factor, brain-derived neurotrophic factor, and neurotrophin 3 in the rat brain after colchicine treatment. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 88, 10352–10356.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Flores, C., Samaha, A. N., Stewart, J. (2000) Requirement of endogenous basic fibroblast growth factor for sensitization to amphetamine. J. Neurosci. 20, RC55.Google Scholar
- Grimm, J. W., Lu, L., Hayashi, T., Hope, B. T., Su, T. P., Shaham, Y. (2003) Time-dependent increases in brain-derived neurotrophic factor protein levels within the mesolimbic dopamine system after withdrawal from cocaine: implications for incubation of cocaine craving. J. Neurosci. 23, 742–747.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lu, B., and Figurov, A. (1997) Role of neurotrophins in synapse development and plasticity. Rev. Neurosci. 22, 295–318.Google Scholar