Single-wall carbon nanotubes with adsorbed antibodies detect live breast cancer cells
- 77 Downloads
Monoclonal antibodies (mAb) specific to cell surface antigens overexpressed on cancer cells adsorbed to single-wall carbon nanotube (SWCNT) devices can bind to their antigens in a drop of buffer, resulting in a slight drop in conductance. Here we report detection of live breast cancer cells with a mAb-SWCNT device. We adsorbed mAb specific to insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor (IGF1R) onto interconnected SWCNT networks placed between lithographically patterned electrodes. Application of human BT474 breast cancer cells increased the conductance of the IGF1R-specific mAb-SWCNT devices by 3.0±0.1-fold, relative to nanotube devices with non specific mAb. Human MCF7 breast cancer cells, with greater IGF1R expression, increased the conductance by 8.0±0.2-fold, but R-cells lacking IGF1R did not. Receptor-specific mAb acted as specific nanoswitches that completed a circuit between the SWCNT and the cell surface receptors, elevating the device conductance. Such devices might detect circulating breast cancer cells in blood samples.
Key WordsAntibodies conductance Her2 IGF1 receptor single-wall carbon nanotube
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Tian, X. (2004), et al. J. Nucl. Med. 45, 2070–2082.Google Scholar
- 6.Teker, K., Panchapakesan, B., and Wickstrom, E. (2005), IEEE Sensors (in press).Google Scholar
- 8.Le Roy, X. et al. (1991), Oncogene 6, 431–437.Google Scholar
- 10.Martin, K. J. et al. (2000), Cancer Res. 60, 2232–2238.Google Scholar
- 11.Sell, C. et al. (1994), Mol Cell Biol. 14, 3604–3612.Google Scholar
- 13.Dresselhaus, M. S., Dresselhaus, G., and Eklund, P. C. (1996), Science of Fullerenes and Carbon Nanotubes. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 14.Ebbessen, T. W. (1997), Carbon Nanotubes: Preparation and Properties. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.Google Scholar
- 16.Yakobson, B. I., and Smalley, R. E. (1997), American Scientist 85, 324.Google Scholar
- 32.Teker, K., Cesarone, G., Wickstrom, E., and Panchapakesan, B. (2005), paper presented at the Nanotech 2005, Anaheim, CA 2005.Google Scholar