Cloning, DNA sequence, and expression of Aeromonas caviae WS7b chitinase gene
- 198 Downloads
A chitinase-producing bacterium, designated WS7b, was isolated from a soil sample obtained from a black-pepper plantation on Bangka Island, Indonesia. Fatty-acid methyl-ester analysis indicated that the isolate was Aeromonas caviae. A chitinase gene from WS7b was cloned in a pUC19-based plasmid vector, but without its natural promoter. The complete nucleotide sequence of the gene was determined, and the structural gene consisted of a 2748-bp region encoding 864 amino acids. DNA sequence analysis indicated that the gene had been cloned without its promoter, and this was confirmed by chitinase-plate assay of the truncated version of the gene in Escherichia coli. The chitinase gene product showed amino-acid sequence similarity to chiA from A. caviae. Chitinase enzyme activity was determined spectrophotometrically, using colloidal chitin azure as substrate for extracellular and intracellular fractions. The ability of the chitinase cloned in E. coli to hydrolyze chitin was less than that of the enzyme in its indigenous host.
Index EntriesAeromonas caviae chitinase gene DNA sequence chitinolytic activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Chet, I., Barak, Z., and Oppenheim, A. (1993) Genetic engineering of microorganisms for improved biocontrol activity. In Biotechnology of Plant Disease Control. Chet, I., ed. Wiley-Liss: New York.Google Scholar
- 19.Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E.F., and Maniatis, T. (1989) Molecular cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd ed., New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.Google Scholar
- 22.Murray, M.G. and Thomson, W.F. (1980) Rapid isolation of high molecular weight plant DNA. Nucleic Acid Res. 19, 823–881Google Scholar
- 26.Hood, M.A. (1990) Comparison of four methods for measuring chitinase activity and the application of the 4-MUF assay in aquatic environments. J. Microbiol. Methods 13, 51–160.Google Scholar
- 27.Malik, A., Suwanto, A., Tjahjono, B., and Suhartono, M.T. (2001) Semimicro-quantitative assay for chitinolytic activity measurement of Aeromonas caviae WS7b. The 2nd Indonesian Biotechnology Conference (IBC) 2001, Yogyakarta, October.Google Scholar