Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis with amyloid goiter: Report of a case with review of the literature
- 36 Downloads
Clinically significant enlargement of the thyroid owing to amyloid deposition is a rare occurrence. A 23-yr-old female, a case of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, developed rapidly increasing thyromegaly during the course of her illness with complaints of dyspnea and dysphagia. Thyroid function tests were within normal limits. Fine-needle aspiration cytology proved inconclusive. Total thyroidectomy was done for symptomatic relief with a preoperative clinical impression of malignancy. Histopathologic findings were consistent with amyloid goiter. The findings of this case are presented, to emphasize the difficulties in making a definite preoperative diagnosis, along with a brief review of the literature.
Key WordsAmyloidosis thyroid goiter rheumatoid arthritis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Livolsi VA. Medullary carcinoma In: Bennington JL, ed. Surgical pathology of the thyroid. Philadelphia:WB Saunders, 1990: 213–252.Google Scholar
- 4.Sirsat MV, Jatoi AF. Fatty infiltration in an amyloid goiter. Indian J Pathol Bacteriol 4:39–41, 1961.Google Scholar
- 7.Danovitch GM, Le Roith D, Sikuler SE, Straus R. Amyloid goiter in familial Mediterranean fever. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 11:595–601, 1979.Google Scholar
- 14.D’Antonio A, Franco R, Sparano L, Terzi G, Pettinato G. Amyloid goiter: the first evidence in secondary amyloidosis. Report of five cases and review of literature. Adv Clin Pathol 4:99–106, 2000.Google Scholar
- 17.Greenstein AJ, Sachar DB, Panday AK, et al. Amyloidosis in inflammatory bowel disease: a 50 year experience with 25 patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 71:261–270, 1992.Google Scholar
- 25.Schmitt TL, Steiner E, Klinger P, Sztankay A, Grubeck-Loebenstein B. The production of an amyloidogenic metabolite of the Alzheimer amyloid beta precursor protein (APP) in thyroid cells is stimulated by interleukin-1 beta but inhibited by interferon gamma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:1666–1669, 1969.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.el Reshaid K, al-Tamami M, Johny KV, Madda JP, Hashim A. Amyloidosis of the thyroid gland: role of ultrasonography. 22:239–244, 1994.Google Scholar