Effects of chronic fluorosis on electrocardiogram in sheep
- 98 Downloads
This study was carried out to evaluate the effects of chronic fluorosis by means of the electrocardiograms in sheep. Ten sheep with fluorosis living around a volcanic mountain (Tendürek Mount) in East Anatolia in Turkey and 10 healthy sheep were used. Leads I, II, III, aVR, aVL, aVF, V2, V4, and V10 were recorded in the electrocardiographs of the sheep. All waves were seen in all derivations. The P-Q interval was significantly (p<0.05) prolonged and sinus bradycardia was observed in the sheep with fluorosis. As a result of this, the number of heart beats was decreased significantly (p<0.05); that is, the number of heart beats was 110±15 in the control group and 75±10 in sheep with fluorosis.
Index EntriesFluorosis fluoride ECG sheep bradycardia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.I. E. Coop, Sheep and Goat Production. World Animal Science, Cl., New York (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.WHO, Fluorides and Oral Health. Report of WHO Expert Committee on Oral Health Status and Fluoride Use, WHO, Geneva (1994).Google Scholar
- 4.H. S. Ergün, H. A. Rüssel-Sinn, N. Bayşu, et al., Studies on the fluoride contents in water and soil. Urine, bone and teeth of sheep and urine of human from eastern and western parts of Turkey, DTW 94, 416–420 (1987).Google Scholar
- 5.K. N. Burns and R. Allcroft, Fluorosis, Vet. Rec. 76(18), 507–509 (1964).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Bildik, Florozisli koyunlarda kan serumundaki iyot değerleri ile bazı spesifik karaciğer enzim aktivitelerinin araştırılması, PhD thesis, Yüzüncü Yil University, Van, Turkey (1992).Google Scholar
- 9.N. Maraşlı, Research on the levels triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) in normal sheep and sheep with fluorosis, PhD thesis. Ankara University, Ankara (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.T. Sel, Serum levels of specific liver enzymes (glutamate oxalacetate transaminase, glutamate pyruvate transaminase, lactate dehydrogenase) and alkaline phosphatase in normal sheep and sheep showing sings of fluorosis in Eastern Anatolia, PhD thesis, Ankara University, Ankara (1991).Google Scholar
- 11.B. Yılmaz, Physiology, Feryal Matbaacılık. Ankara (2000).Google Scholar
- 12.T. Konuk, Practise Physiology, A. Ü. Vet. Fak. Yayınları. Ankara (1981).Google Scholar
- 13.G. Zhi-zhong, J. Zong, Y. Pei Shei, et al., Synergistic action of iodine. Deficiency and fluorine-intoxication on rat thyroid, Chin. Med. J. 101(9), 679–684 (1988).Google Scholar