Comparative studies on a mesophilic and a thermophilic α-amylase
A comparative study was performed on thermal stability of mesophilic and thermophilic α-amylases, and the effects of various denaturing agents, organic solvents, and stabilizers were investigated. As expected, the thermophilic enzyme showed higher resistance toward denaturation in water as its natural medium, but such a difference could not be detected in nonaqueous environments. Furthermore, stability of these molecules was improved by including various stabilizing agents. Of the compounds tested, sorbitol provided the highest degree of protection, which was found to be owing to its effect on increasing T m and its ability in totally preventing deamidation of amino acid residues in the protein molecules.
Index Entriesα-Amylase thermostability deamidation organic solvent thermostabilizing additives
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Matthews, B. W. (1995), Adv. Protein Chem. 46, 249–278.Google Scholar
- 5.Pace, C. N., Shirley, B. A., Mcnutt, M., and Gajiwala, K. (1996), FASEB J. 10, 75–83.Google Scholar
- 8.Tomazic, S. J. and Klibanov, A. M. (1988), J. Biol. Chem. 263, 3086–3091.Google Scholar
- 9.Tomazic, S. J. and Klibanov, A. M. (1988), J. Biol. Chem. 263, 3092–3096.Google Scholar
- 13.Clark, D. and Kelly, R. (1990), Chemtech 20, 654–662.Google Scholar
- 15.Tomizawa, H., Yamada, H., Wada, K., and Imoto, T. (1995), J. Biochem. 117, 635–640.Google Scholar
- 16.Tomizawa, H., Yamada, H., Tanigawa, K., and Imoto, T. (1995), J. Biochem. 117, 369–373.Google Scholar
- 17.Tomizawa, H., Yamada, H., and Imoto, T. (1994), Biochemistry 33, 13,032–13,037.Google Scholar
- 18.Klibanov, A. M. and Zaks, A. (1998), J. Biol. Chem. 263, 3194–3199.Google Scholar
- 21.Bernfeld, P. (1995), in Methods in Enzymology, vol. 1, Collowick, S. P. and Kaplan, N. O., eds., Academic, New York, p. 149.Google Scholar
- 22.Kun, E. and Kearney, E. B. (1974), in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, 2nd ed., vol. 4, Bergmeyer, H. U., ed., Academic, New York, pp. 1802–1806.Google Scholar
- 25.Tyler-Cross, R. and Schirch, V. J. (1991), J. Biol. Chem. 265, 22,549–22,556.Google Scholar