Expression of luciferase gene under control of the puf promoter from Rhodobacter sphaeroides
- 131 Downloads
An expression vector for purple bacteria based on the puf promoter from Rhodobacter sphaeroides was constructed. The 1.2 kb promoter fragment included the pufQ gene, ORFK, as wellas the SD sequence and thestartcodon from pufB. Translational pufduc fusion was constructed toanalyze transcription from the puf promoter. The luciferase expression was negligible under aerobic light conditions and was stimulated more than 700-fold under anaerobic light conditions. When Rb. sphaeroides, (p Pluc-2) strain was grown photoheterotrophically in batch culture, the luciferase expression was observed during 7h. The expression time could be greatly extended using continuous cultivation in a photobioreactor.
Index EntriesRhodobacter sphacroides expression vector puf promoter luciferase continuous culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Williams, J. C. and Taguchi, A. K. W. (1995) in: Anoxygenic Photosynthetic Bacteria Blankenship, R. E., Madigan, M. T., and Bauer, C. E., eds., Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 1029–1065.Google Scholar
- 3.Farchaus, J. W., and Oesterhelt, D. (1989), EMBO J. 8, 47–54.Google Scholar
- 4.Narro, M. L., Adams, C. W., and Cohen, S. N. (1990), J. Bateriol. 172, 4549–4554.Google Scholar
- 7.Johnson, J. A., Wong, W. K. R., and Beatty, J. T. (1986), J. Bacteriol. 167, 604–610.Google Scholar
- 8.Bauer, C., Young, D. A., and Marrs, B. L. (1988), J. Biol. Chem. 263, 4820–4827.Google Scholar
- 11.Miyake, J., Mao, X.-Y., and Kawamura, S. (1984), J. Ferment. Technol. 62, 531–535.Google Scholar
- 13.Sambrook, J. Fritsch, E. F., and Maniatis, T. (1989), Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, 2nd ed., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY.Google Scholar
- 14.DeHoff, B. S., Lee, J. K., Donohue, T. J., Gumport, R. I., and Kaplan, S. (1988), J. Bacteriol. 170, 4681–4692.Google Scholar
- 19.Bauer, C. E. (1995), in Anoxygen ic Photosynthetic Bacteria, Blankenship, R. E., Madigan, M. T. and Bauer, C. E., eds., Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 1221–1234.Google Scholar
- 21.Lee, J. K., Kiley, P. J., and Kaplan, S. (1989), J. Bacteriol. 171, 3391–3405.Google Scholar
- 23.Kondo, T. and Ishiura, M. (1994), J. Bacteriol 176, 1881–1885.Google Scholar