Optimization of steam pretreatment of SO2-impregnated corn stover for fuel ethanol production
- 258 Downloads
In this study, corn stover with a dry matter content of 20% was impregnated with SO2 and then steam pretreated for various times at various temperatures. The pretreatment was evaluated by enzymatic hydrolysis of the solid material and analysis of the sugar content in the liquid. The maximum overall yield of glucose, 89% of the theoretical based on the glucan in the raw material, was achieved when the corn stover was pretreated at 200°C for 10 min. The maximum overall yield of xylose, 78%, was obtained with pretreatment at 190°C for 5 min.
Index EntriesSteam pretreatment SO2 corn stover fuel-ethanol production
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bailey, B. K. (1996), Performance of ethanol as a transportation fuel, in Handbook on Bioethanol: Production and Utilization, (Wyman, C. E., ed.). Taylor & Francis, Chap. 3, pp. 37–60.Google Scholar
- 6.Ehrman, T. (1994), Standard Method for Determination of Total Solids in Biomass, LAP-001 U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- 7.Ruiz, R. and Ehrman, T. (1996), Chemical Analysis and Testing Task Laboratory Procedure, LAP-002 U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- 8.Templeton, D. and Ehrman, T. (1995), Chemical Analysis and Testing Task, Laboratory Analytical Procedure, LAP-003 U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- 9.Ehrman, T. Chemical Analysis and Testing Task Laboratory Analytical Procedure, LAP-004 U.S.Department of Energy, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- 10.Ruiz, R. and Ehrman, T. (1996), Dilute Acid Hydrolysis Procedure for Determination of Total Sugars in the Liquid Fraction of Process Samples, LAP-014 U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- 12.Thomas, S. (2002), National Bioenergy Center; National Renewable Energy Laboratory; Golden, Colorado; USA., Personal communication.Google Scholar
- 13.Kalman, G., Varga, E., and Reczey, K. (2002), Chem. Biochem. Eng. Q. 16, 151–157.Google Scholar
- 14.Torget, R., Walter, P., Himmel, M., and Grohmann, K. (1991), Appl. Biochem. Biotech. 28–29, 75–86.Google Scholar
- 17.Lalander, C.-A. Inhibitors in the ethanol fermentation at Domsjö Fabriker (2003) Diploma work. Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.Google Scholar