Cellulase production by Trichoderma reesei using sawdust hydrolysate
- 135 Downloads
Sawdust hydrolysates were investigated for their ability to support cell growth and cellulase production, and for potential inhibition of Trichoderma reesei Rut C30. Simultaneous fermentations were conducted to compare the hydrolysate-based media with the controls having equivalent concentrations of glucose and Avicel cellulose. Six hydrolysates differing in the boiling durations in the hydrolysis procedure were evaluated. The hydrolysates were found to support cell growth and induce active cellulase synthesis. The maximum specific cellulase production rate was 0.046 filter paper units (FPU)/(g of cells · h) in the hydrolysate-based systems, much higher than that (0.017 FPU/[g of cells · h]) in the controls.
Index EntriesAcid hydrolysis cellulase induction inhibition Trichoderma reesei
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Araujo, A. and D’Souza, J. (1980), J. Ferment. Technol. 58, 399–401.Google Scholar
- 3.Mohagheghi, A., Grohmann, K., and Wyman, C. E. (1988), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 17, 263–277.Google Scholar
- 5.Ladisch, M. R., Hong, J., Voloch, M., and Tsao, G. T. (1981), in Trends in the Biology of Fermentation for Fuels and Chemicals, Hollaender, A., Rabson, R., Rodgers, P., San Pietro, A., Valentine, R., and Wolfe, R., eds., Plenum, New York, pp. 55–83.Google Scholar
- 10.Zhang, Q., Lo, C. M., and Ju, L.-K. (2004), submitted.Google Scholar
- 12.Jeong, J. M., Park, H. M., Hong, S. W., and Hah, Y. C. (1985), Misaengmul Hakhoechi 23, 77–83.Google Scholar
- 14.Nisizawa, T., Suzuki, H., Nakayama, M., and Nisizawa, K. (1971), J. Biochem. (Tokyo) 70, 375–385.Google Scholar
- 17.Yasar, M., Akmaz, S., and Gurgey, I. (2001), Enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose to glucose: Reaction kinetics and pathways. Abstracts of Papers, 222nd ACS National Meeting, BIOL-046, American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 20.Lee, P. and Moore, M. (2002), Two-stage dilute acid hydrolysis of mixed southern hardwood: Process evaluation and optimization, Abstracts of Papers, 223rd ACS National Meeting, CELL-066, American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 21.McMillan, J. D. (1994), in Enzymatic conversion of biomass for fuels production, Michael E. Himmel, John O. Baker, Ralph P. Overend, eds., American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- 28.Margollas-Clark, E., Hayes, C. K., Hatman, G. E., and Penttila, M. (1996), Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 62, 2145–2151.Google Scholar
- 29.McMillan, J. D. (1994), in Enzymatic conversion of biomass for fuels production, Michael E. Himmel, John O. Baker, Ralph P. Overend, eds., American Chemical Society, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar