Effect of expression of manganese superoxide dismutase in baculovirus-infected insect cells
- 130 Downloads
It has previously been demonstrated that baculovirus infection of the Spodoptera frugiperda Sf-9 (Sf-9) and Trichoplusia ni BTI-Tn-5B1-4 (Tn-5B1-4) insect cell lines leads to oxidative stress as measured by protein and membrane lipid oxidation and that this oxidative damage contributes to cell death. As a result of these findings, it was hypothesized that baculovirus infection stimulates superoxide radical (O 2 ·— synthesis in the mitochondria and that the resulting O 2 ·— accumulation overwhelms the cells’ antioxidant defenses. We investigated the ability of manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD) expression (which reduces O 2 ·— to H2O2) to overcome the oxidative damage caused by baculovirus infection. It was found that MnSOD expression significantly reduced oxidative damage in baculovirus-infected Tn-5B1-4 cells but had no significant effect on oxidative damage in baculovirus-infected Sf-9 cells. The results are consistent with the hypothesis that O 2 ·— accumulation in the mitochondria is at least partially responsible for the oxidative damage resulting from the baculovirus infection of insect cells.
Index EntriesSpodoptera frugiperda Sf-9 Trichoplusia ni BTI-Tn-5B1-4 baculovirus expression vector system manganese superoxide dismutase catalase protein oxidation lipid oxidation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Murhammer, D. W. (1996), Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 59, 199–220.Google Scholar
- 20.O’Reilly, D. R., Miller, L. K., and Luckow, V. A. (1992), Baculovirus Expression Vectors, W. H. Freeman and Company, New York.Google Scholar
- 21.Summers, M. D. and Smith, G. E. (1987), A Manual of Methods for Baculovirus Vectors and Insect Cell Culture Procedures, College Station, Texas Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin No. 1555.Google Scholar
- 25.Silberklang, M. (1995), Paper presented at 1995 Baculovirus and Insect Cell Gene Expression Conference, March 26–30, Pinehurst, NC.Google Scholar
- 27.Shoemaker, D. P., Garland, C. W., and Steinfeld, J. I. (1974), Experiments in Physical Chemistry, 3rd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar