Retention Behaviour of Bupropion Hydrochloride in Reversed Phase Ion Pair LC and Validated Analysis of the Drug in Pharmaceuticals
- 277 Downloads
The chromatographic behaviour of bupropion hydrochloride, a basic drug of pK a 7.9, has been investigated under reversed-phase ion-pairing conditions and the results were used to develop a method for analysis of bupropion hydrochloride in pharmaceuticals. Chromatographic separation of bupropion hydrochloride and carbamazepine (used as internal standard) was performed on a C8 column (150 mm × 4.6 mm i.d., 3.5-μm particle), with 40:10:50 (v/v) methanol–acetonitrile–phosphate buffer (20 mm, pH 3.0), containing 10 mm 1-heptane sulfonic acid sodium salt (1-HSA), as optimum mobile phase at a flow rate of 1.0 mL min−1. UV detection was at 254 nm. The fully validated method enables reproducible and selective analysis of bupropion hydrochloride in pharmaceuticals.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography Ion-pairing Pharmaceutical analysis Method validation Bupropion hydrochloride
The authors are grateful to the Research Council of Anadolu University for support of this project (project no: 060324), to GlaxoSmithKline (Istanbul, Turkey) for the gift sample of BUP standard, and to Professor Dr Muzaffer Tuncel for his valuable help in all the authors’ studies. DY acknowledges a scholarship for PhD students from the Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK).
- 6.Jennison TA, Brown P, Crossett J, Urry FM (1995) J Anal Toxicol 19:69–72Google Scholar
- 13.Suckow RF, Smith TM, Perumal AS, Cooper TB (1986) Drug Metab Dispos 14:692–697Google Scholar
- 14.The United States Pharmacopeia (2006) USP-29, Marck Printing, Easton, pp 320–324Google Scholar
- 15.ICH Steering Committee (2005) Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology Q2(R1), harmonized tripartite guidelineGoogle Scholar
- 17.Snyder LR, Kirkland JJ, Glajch JL (1997) Practical LC method development. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar