Alternative LC–MS–MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Proguanil, Its Active Metabolite in Human Plasma and Application to a Bioequivalence Study
- 127 Downloads
An alternative rapid and sensitive liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry method has been developed and validated for simultaneous analysis of proguanil (PRO) and cycloguanil (CYC) in human plasma. The analytes were extracted from human plasma by solid phase extraction. Riluzole (RIL) was used as an internal standard for proguanil and cycloguanil. A HyPURITY Advance C18 column provided chromatographic separation of analytes followed by detection with mass spectrometry. The method involves simple isocratic chromatography conditions and mass spectrometric detection in the positive ionization mode using an API-4000 system. The proposed method has been validated with linear range of 1.5–150.0 ng mL−1 for PRO and 0.5–50.0 ng mL−1 for CYC. The inter-run and intra-run precision values are within 2.54, 9.19% for PRO and 1.99, 10.69% for CYC at LOQ levels. The overall recoveries for PRO and CYC were 102.52 and 106.72%, respectively. Total elution time was as low as 2.50 min. This validated method was used successfully for analysis of plasma samples from a bioequivalence study.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography Tandem mass spectrometry Proguanil in human plasma Cycloguanil and riluzole
The authors are indebted to Prof. R. T. Sane, Dr. Vikas Vaidya, Mr. Nelson Varghese and Mr. Sudhir Pawar for their continuous support and for providing the laboratory facilities required for this assay.
- 1.GlaxoSmithKline-Malarone (atovaquone and proguanil hydrochloride) tablets prescribing information (2007) 1–4Google Scholar
- 4.Kelly JA, Fletcher KA (1986) J Chromatogr A 381:464–471Google Scholar
- 5.Edstein MD (1986) J Chromatogr A 380:184–189Google Scholar
- 13.Ebeshi BU, Obodozie OO, Bolaji OO, Ogunbona FA (2005) Afr J Biotechnol 4:856–861Google Scholar
- 16.Kusaka M, Setiabudy R, Chiba K, Ishizaki T (1996) Am J Trop Med Hyg 54:189–196Google Scholar
- 20.Taylor RB, Behrens R, Moody RR (1990) J Chromatogr A 527:490–497Google Scholar
- 22.Guidance for industry: bioanalytical method validation, U.S. Department of health and human services, food and drug administration centre for drug evaluation and research (CDER), centre for veterinary medicine (CVM) 2001Google Scholar