Field Enhanced Sample Injection for the CE Determination of Arsenic Compounds Using Successive Multiple Ionic Polymer Layer Coated Capillaries
- 150 Downloads
A capillary electrophoresis method using indirect UV detection has been applied to the determination of arsenate [As(V)], arsenite [As(III)], monomethylarsonic acid and dimethylarsinic acid. The arsenic species were successfully separated in a successive multiple ionic polymer layer coated capillary. On-line sample preconcentration of arsenic compounds were performed by employing field enhanced sample injection. A baseline separation was achieved in a basic background solution of 10 mM 2,6-pyridinedicarboxylic acid at pH 10.3. The precision of migration time was 1.2–2.4% RSD and peak height was 8.1–12.9% RSD. The limits of detection at a S/N ratio of 3 for the four arsenic compounds were found to be 20–70 ppb, which are comparable to other on-line preconcentration techniques. The enhancement factor was improved by 230–1,500-fold.
KeywordsCapillary electrophoresis Indirect UV detection Field enhanced stacking injection Successive multiple ionic polymer layers Arsenic compounds
This work was supported by the JSPS-Ronpaku Fellowship VCC-10514 awarded to J. Jaafar.
- 3.World Health Organaization Arsenic in Drinking Water, Fact Sheet No. 210, May 2001. http://www.who.int/inf-fs/en/fact210.html
- 7.Zhang P, Xu G, Xiong J, Zheng Y, Yang Q, Wei F (2001) Electrophoresis 22:3567–3572. doi: 10.1002/1522-2683(200109)22:16<3567::AID-ELPS3567>3.0.CO;2-Z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Lai VWM, Cullen WR, Harrington CF, Reimer KJ (1998) Appl Organomet Chem 12:243–251. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1099-0739(199804)12:4<243::AID-AOC700>3.0.CO;2-R CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Johns C, Macka M, Haddad PR (2000) Electrophoresis 21:1312–1319. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1522-2683(20000401)21:7<1312::AID-ELPS1312>3.0.CO;2-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Boyce MC, Breadmore M, Macka M, Doble P, Haddad PR (2000) Electrophoresis 21:3073–3080. doi: 10.1002/1522-2683(20000901)21:15<3073::AID-ELPS3073>3.0.CO;2-H CrossRefGoogle Scholar