Development and Validation of a Stability Indicating LC Method for the Determination of Faropenem in Pharmaceutical Formulations
A simple, selective and sensitive stability indicating LC method has been developed and validated for the determination of faropenem in bulk drug and pharmaceutical formulations in the presence of degradation products. The separation was achieved by using an isocratic mobile phase mixture of acetate buffer of pH 3.5 and methanol (65:35, v/v) and 250 mm × 4.6 mm I.D., 5 μm particle size SGE make Wakosil C-18 AR column at flow rate of 1.0 mL min−1 with detection at 305 nm. The retention time of faropenem is 6.63 min and was linear in the range of 5–75 μg mL−1 (r = 0.9999). The drug was subjected to stress conditions of hydrolysis, oxidation, photolysis and thermal degradation and was found to be unstable in all the stress conditions. The proposed method was successfully employed for quantification of faropenem in bulk drug and its pharmaceutical formulations.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography Stability indicating method Pharmaceutical preparation Faropenem
Financial assistance from UGC, New Delhi is gratefully acknowledged.
- 7.Nirogi R, Kandikere V, Shrivastava W, Mudigonda K (2005) Arzneim- Forsch 55(12):762–766Google Scholar
- 8.Sun YX, Zhao LM, Qiu F, He XJ (2007) Chin J N Drugs And Clin Remedies 26(10):762–764Google Scholar
- 9.Xie J, Zhou Y, Liu Y-w (2006) Chin J Clin Pharmacol 22(3):218–221Google Scholar
- 10.Hu Y-q, Zhang W-d, Wang Y-c (2006) Chin J Pharm Anal 26(11):1555–1557Google Scholar
- 11.Yan X-y, Hu X, He X-r (2006) Chin J Pharm Anal 26(7):965–967Google Scholar
- 12.Zhao X, Hu C-q, Jin S-h (2005) Chin Pharma J 40(5):385–387Google Scholar
- 13.Xia Z, Chang-qin H, Shao-hong J (2005) Chin J Antibiot 30(6):341–343Google Scholar
- 14.International Conference on Harmonisation (ICH) of Technical Requirements for the Registration of Pharmaceutical for Human Use (2005) Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology Q2(R1), November, 2005, pp 1–13Google Scholar
- 15.International Conference on Harmonisation (ICH) of Technical Requirements for the Registration of Pharmaceutical for Human Use (2003) Stability testing of new drugs substance and products Q1A(R2), February, 2003, pp 1–18Google Scholar
- 16.USP (2007) United States pharmacopoeia, 30th edn. United States Pharmacopeial Convention, RockvilleGoogle Scholar
- 18.Carstensen JT, Rhodes CT (eds) (2000) Drug Stability: Principles and Practices, 3rd edn. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New YorkGoogle Scholar