An Improved Narrow-Bore LC Method for Quantification of Alfuzosin in Pharmaceutical Formulations
A simple rapid and stability-indicating LC method using a narrow-bore column has been developed, fully validated, and applied to the quantification of alfuzosin in pharmaceutical formulations. Chromatography was achieved isocratically on a narrow-bore, 5-μm particle size, C8 analytical column. The mobile phase was a 35:65 (v/v) 0.0125 m ammonium formate–acetonitrile at a flow rate of 0.35 mL min−1. Detection was by UV absorption at 245 nm. Evaluation over the range 200–800 ng mL−1 revealed linearity was good. Limits of detection and quantification for alfuzosin were 22.9 and 69.5 ng mL−1, respectively. Intra-day and inter-day RSD were less than 6.4%, and the relative percentage error was less than −1.7% (n = 5). Accelerated degradation performed under different stress conditions including oxidation, hydrolysis, and heat, proved the selectivity of the procedure. The method was successfully used for quality-control and content-uniformity testing of commercial tablets.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography Alfuzosin Pharmaceutical dosage forms Stability-indicating method Validation
- 3.Leferve-Borg F, O’Connor SE, Schoemaker H, Hicks PE, Lechaire J, Gautier E, Pierre F, Pimoule C, Manoury P, Langer SZ (1993) Br J Pharmacol 109:1282–1289Google Scholar
- 18.Krishna MV, Sankar DG (2007) E J Chem 4:397–407Google Scholar
- 19.Neue UD (1997) HPLC columns—theory technology and practice. Wiley, New York, pp 49–53Google Scholar
- 21.ICH (1996) International conference on harmonization, validation of analytical procedures: methodology Q2B, FDA, USAGoogle Scholar
- 22.ICH (2003) Topic Q1F, November 2003; http://www.ich.org/LOB/media/MEDIA419.pdf