Simultaneous Determination of Metformin Hydrochloride, Cyanoguanidine and Melamine in Tablets by Mixed-Mode HILIC
- 489 Downloads
A simple and specific hydrophilic interaction liquid chromatography (HILIC) procedure for the quantification of metformin hydrochloride (MFH) and its impurities in bulk pharmaceuticals and finished dosage forms has been developed. The method is based on hydrophilic interaction of the analytes with silica. The influence of the weaker solvent, acetonitrile, pH and the nature and ionic strength of the buffer was studied. Linearity range and percent recoveries for MFH were 100–400 μg mL−1 and 100.62%, respectively. Good validation data were obtained for all compounds. The method separates impurities cyanoguanidine (CGD), melamine (MLN) and other degradation products with a run time of less than 13 min. Degradation studies involved thermal stress, hydrolysis at various pHs and chemical and photolytic oxidation.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography HILIC Metformin hydrochloride Melamine Cyanoguanidine Degradation studies
Authors wish to thank Mr. Anwar Saeed, Mr. Mahmoud Yusuf Jamjoom and Mr. Noor Sheriff for encouraging this work and providing required support in accomplishing the proposed HILIC method.
- 1.USP 29 NF 24, United States Pharmacopoeia (2005) United States Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., RockvilleGoogle Scholar
- 2.James Reynolds EF, Part I, Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia (1996) 31st edn. Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 3.BP’ 2005, British Pharmacopoeia (2005) The Stationary Office on behalf of the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), vol I–IIGoogle Scholar
- 4.Arayne MS, Sultana N, Zuberi MH (2006) Pak J Pharm Sci 19:231–235Google Scholar
- 5.Madhira BS, Vaibhav DM, Dimal AS, Kashyap KB, Rajendra SM, Madhira G, Binita JP (2005) J AOAC Int 88:1167–1172Google Scholar
- 6.Kolte BL, Raut BB, Deo AA, Bagool MA, Shinde DB (2004) J Chromatogr Sci 42:27–31Google Scholar
- 8.Kolte BL, Raut BB, Deo AA, Bagool MA, Shinde DB (2004) J Chromatogr Sci 42:70–73Google Scholar
- 11.Kolte BL, Raut BB, Deo AA, Bagool MA, Shinde DB (2006) Encyclopedia of Chromatography, Taylor & Francis, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 17.Wang LR, Huang MZ, Zhu SH (2005) Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 34:368–371Google Scholar
- 19.ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guideline, International Conference on Harmonization on Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use, Q2A, Text on Validation of Analytical Procedures, Step 4 of the ICH process (1994) and Q2B, Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology, Step 4 of the ICH process (1996) ICH Steering CommitteeGoogle Scholar
- 22.Neue UD, Grumbach ES, Mazzeo JR, Tran K, Wagrowski-Diehl DM (2003) In: Wilson ID (ed) Bioanalytical separations, handbook of analytical separations, Elsevier Science B. V., New York, pp 185–214Google Scholar