Simultaneous Determination of Trichothecenes A, B, and D in Maize Food Products by LC–MS–MS
Two new methods of analysis, based on liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometry, for simultaneous determination of trichothecenes A, B, and D in maize flour and oil have been developed and validated in accordance with European Commission decision 2002/657/EC (recovery, CCα, CCβ, and precision). The trichothecenes were extracted from maize flour by matrix solid-phase dispersion, with recoveries ≥79%, and from maize oil by liquid–liquid extraction, with recoveries ≥78%. Limits of quantitation ranged between 0.03 and 50 μg kg−1, depending on the electrospray response to each analyte and on the matrix. Monitoring of flour and oil samples with this HPLC–MS–MS method revealed the presence of deoxynivalenol, T-2 toxin, and diacetoxyscirpenol at very low concentrations.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography Electrospray tandem mass spectrometry Matrix solid-phase dispersion Trichothecenes A, B, and D Maize flour and oil
This work was supported by the Ministero Italiano Delle Politiche Agricole e Forestali (MIPAF), “Qualità Alimentare” project.
- 1.European mycotoxin awareness network—EMAN, Fact sheet 8—TrichothecenesGoogle Scholar
- 2.WHO (1990) Selected mycotoxins: ochratoxins, trichothecenes, Ergot. Environmental Health Criteria 10. International Programme on Chemical Safety, World Health Organization, Geneva, pp 71–154. Available: http://www.inchem.org/documents/ehc/ehc/ehc105.htm
- 4.Eriksen GS, Alexander J (1998) Fusarium toxins in cereals—a risk assessment. Nordic Council of Ministers. TemaNord: Copenhagen 502:7–27 and 45–58Google Scholar
- 5.Scientific Committee on Food. Opinion on fusarium toxins. Part 1: deoxynivalenol (expressed on 2 December 1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Scientific Committee on Food. Opinion of the scientific committee on food on fusarium toxins. Part 4: nivalenol (expressed On 19 October 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Scientific Committee on Food. Opinion of the scientific committee on food on fusarium toxins. Part 6: Group evaluation of T-2 toxin, HT-2 toxin, nivalenol, and deoxynivalenol (adopted on 26 February 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Commission regulation 2005/856/CE amending regulation 466/2001/CE as regards fusarium toxins. Off J Eur Commun 2005; L143/3Google Scholar
- 9.Commission regulation 2006/1881/CE amending regulation 466/2001/CE as regards fusarium toxins. Off J Eur Commun 2006; L364/5Google Scholar
- 17.Biselli S, Hartig L, Wegener H, Hummert C (2004) LC–GC Eur 17:25Google Scholar
- 18.Biselli S, Hartig L, Wegener H, Hummert C (2005) Spectroscopy 20:20Google Scholar
- 21.Commission decision 2002/657/CE implementing Council directive 96/23/EC concerning the performance of analytical methods and the interpretation of results. Off J Eur Commun 2002; L 221:8–36Google Scholar