A Validated HPLC Method with Fluorescence Detection for the Determination of Droperidol in Pharmaceutical Tablets, Human Serum, and Human Milk
A sensitive and simple HPLC method with fluorimetric detection has been developed for determination of droperidol in pharmaceutical tablets, human serum, and human milk. Chromatography was performed on a 100 mm × 3 mm i.d. C18 column with methanol–water, 30:70 (v/v), pH 3.5, as mobile phase at a flow-rate of 0.8 mL min−1. The injection volume was 5 μL and detection was by monitoring emission at 324 nm after excitation at 283 nm. Droperidol and p-hydroxybenzoic acid (internal standard) eluted after 5.3 and 6.1 min, respectively. The method was validated over the concentration range 1.14 × 10−7 to 9.12 × 10−6 M. Selectivity was good and the limits of detection and quantitation of the method were approximately 3.54 × 10−8 and 1.07 × 10−7 M, respectively, corresponding to 13 and 40 ng mL−1. The applicability of the method to determination of droperidol in pharmaceuticals, human serum, and human milk was demonstrated.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography Fluorimetric detection Pharmaceuticals in human serum and human milk Droperidol
The authors are grateful to the Research Council of Anadolu University for their support of our project.
- 4.Haemers A, Van den Bossche WJ (1969) J Pharm Pharmacol 21:531–532Google Scholar
- 6.Pap S, Kauffmann JM, Vire JC, Patriarche GJ, Prete MP (1984) J Pharm Belg 39:335–340Google Scholar
- 7.Hopkala H, Przyborowski L (1989) Pharmazie 44:65Google Scholar
- 11.Quaglio MP, Bellini AM, Lambardi F (1982) Boll Chim Farm 121:276–284Google Scholar
- 12.Kurzawa M, Kowalczyk-Marzec A, Szlyk M (2004) Chem Anal 49:91–99Google Scholar
- 19.Lee DKT, Chiou AHJ, Wang DP (2005) J Food Drug Anal 13:93–95Google Scholar
- 23.ICH Topic Q2A, Validation of analytical procedures: methodology. CPMP/ICH/281/95Google Scholar
- 25.US Pharmacopeial Convention (2000) US Pharmacopeia, 24th edn. US Pharmacopeial Convention, Rockville, 2001–2002Google Scholar