Isocratic Reverse-Phase HPLC for Determination of Organic Acids in Kargı Tulum Cheese
Reverse-phase HPLC was assessed for the determination of most important organic acids in Kargı Tulum cheese. The method with a simple treatment of the sample succeeded in eluting nine organic acids in a single chromatographic run with the aid of buffer–acetonitrile gradient. A gradient programme using a mobile phase of aqueous 0.5% (w/v) (NH4)2HPO4–0.4% (v/v) acetonitrile at pH 2.24 was used to separate organic acids on a C18 column. The best flow rate–time program was applied to take the chromatogram in 35 min with a high linearity and excellent repeatability. The main organic acids of Kargı Tulum cheese were lactic, acetic, citric, propionic and formic acids. Pyruvic, uric and orotic acids were found to be lower in content while butyric acid was not detected in the samples.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography Organic acids Cheese
The authors wish to thank the Mayor of Kargı, A. Hamdi Akpınar and the Agriculture Engineer Sevtap Ökten for their assistance on the cheese production and obtaining cheese samples.
- 1.González-de Llano D, Rodriguez A, Cuesta P (1996) J Appl Bacteriol 80:570–576Google Scholar
- 10.Abd El-Salam MH, Alichanidis E (2004) In: Fox PF, McSweeney PLH, Cogan TM, Guinee TP (eds) Cheese: chemistry, physics and microbiology, vol 2, 3rd edn. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 227–249Google Scholar
- 11.Fröhlich-Wyder MT, Bachman HP (2004) In: Fox PF, McSweeney PLH, Cogan TM, Guinee TP (eds) Cheese: chemistry, physics and microbiology, vol 2. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 141–156Google Scholar
- 14.Gomis DB (1992) In: Nollet LML (ed) Food analysis by HPLC. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp 371–385Google Scholar
- 15.Gomis DB, Alonso JJM (1996) In: Nollet LML (ed) Handbook of food analysis, vol 1. Marcel Dekker, New York, pp 715–743Google Scholar
- 21.SAS Users Guide: statistics version 6.06 (1989) SAS Inst. Inc., CaryGoogle Scholar
- 22.Akalın AS, Kınık Ö, Gönç S (1997) Milchwissenschaft 52(5):260–262Google Scholar
- 28.Fox PF, Lucey JA, Cogan TM (1990) Lebensm Wiss Technol 29:237–253Google Scholar