GC and GC-MS Studies on the Essential Oil and Thiophenes from Tagetes patula L.
- 292 Downloads
The production and the composition of the compounds (mono-, sesquiterpenes and acetylenic thiophenes) obtained by the steam distillation of Tagetes patula L. have been investigated. The volatile oil was produced by steam distillation. GC was carried out on three types of stationary phase using flame ionization and mass selective detection. Percentage data were calculated by the area normalization method with very good repeatability (RSD below 5%). Oils from flower-heads were rich in β-caryophyllene (53.5%) and the leaves contained terpinolene in high concentration (21.1%). The main volatile component of the hairy roots and intact roots was 5-(3-buten-1-ynyl)-2,2'-bithienyl (BBT) yielding 28.5% and 44.0% in the oils. Three new minor constituents were identified as α-gurjunene, β-caryophyllene and (E)-β-farnesene. A flash chromatographic method was developed for the isolation of thiophenes from a solvent extract of intact roots. The collected fractions were screened by TLC and analyzed by GC-MS. Three thiophene fractions were obtained containing BBT, 5-(4-acetoxy-1-butynyl)-2,2'-bithienyl (BBTOAc) and 5-(4-hydroxy-1-butynyl)-2,2'-bithienyl (BBTOH).
KeywordsGas chromatography-mass spectrometry Flash chromatography Tagetes patula L. Essential oil Acetylenic thiophenes
- Mukundan U, Hjortso M (2001) Biotechnol Agric For 48:274 293Google Scholar
- Hudson JB, Graham EA, Rossi R, Carpita A, Neri D, Towers GHN (1993) Planta Med 59:447–450Google Scholar
- Talou JR, Cascone O, Giulietti AM (1994) Planta Med 60:260–262Google Scholar
- In: (2004) European Pharmacopoeia 5th. Edition Vol. 2. EDQM, Strasbourg, France pp. 1977–1978Google Scholar
- Margl L, Tei A, Gyurján I, Wink M (2002) Z Naturforsch C 57:63–71Google Scholar
- Krishna A, Mallavarapu GR, Kumar S, Ramesh S (2002) J Essent Oil Res 14:433–436Google Scholar
- Adams RP (2001) In: Identification of Oil Components by Gas Chromatography/Quadrupole Mass Spectroscopy. Allured Publ. Corp., Carol Stream, ILGoogle Scholar
- Héthelyi É, Tétényi P, Kaposi P, Dános B, Kernóczi ZS, Büki GY (1988) Herba Hung 2–3:89–105Google Scholar
- Balla J (1997) In: A gázkromatográfia analitikai alkalmazásai Abigél Bt, Budapest, HungaryGoogle Scholar
- Szarka Sz, Héthelyi É, Lemberkovics É, Bálványos I, Szõke É. J Essent Oil Res (submitted for publication)Google Scholar