Quantitative Determination of Three Protoberberine Alkaloids in Jin-Guo-Lan by HPLC-DAD
- 163 Downloads
An accurate and simple HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of three protoberberine alkaloids (columbamine, jatrorrhizine, and palmatine) contained in Chinese medicine Jin-Guo-Lan (Tinospora sagittata Oliv. and Tinospora capillipes Gagnep) is presented in this study. The herb samples from six main origins and three herb markets were investigated. The separation was performed on a YMC-C18 ODS column at 30°C with a gradient elution program. Acetonitrile and phosphate buffer (0.02 mol L−1 sodium dihydrogen phosphate and 0.01 mol L−1 triethylamine, pH 3) were used as mobile phases and the flow rate was set at 1 mL min−1. The recovery of the method was in the range of 99.43–100.96%, and all the alkaloids showed good linearity (r 2 > 0.9997) in the relatively wide concentration ranges. The developed method was applied to the determination of these alkaloids in the collected herb samples, and the results showed that the contents of these components in Jin-Guo-Lan varied greatly from habitat to habitat. It was demonstrated that the proposed method was helpful for the quality evaluation of Chinese medicine Jin-Guo-Lan.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography Protoberberine alkaloids Jin-Guo-Lan
This work was supported by the National Basic Research Program (973) of Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China (No. 2005CB523402) and Shanghai Science and Technology Grant (Grant number: 04DZ19842, 03QMH1414, 03DZ19503, 04DZ19815, 04DZ19843, 04DZ19856, 04DZ19857 and 05DZ19733).
- 1.National Commission of Chinese Pharmacopoeia (2005) Pharmacopoeia of the People’s Republic of China. Chemical Industry Press, Beijing, pp. 150–151Google Scholar
- 5.Sethi ML (1983) J Pharm Sci 72:538–541Google Scholar
- 6.Kobayashi Y, Yamashita Y, Fujii N, Takaboshi K, Kawakami T, Kawamura M, Mizukami T, Nakano H (1995) Planta Med 61:414–418Google Scholar
- 7.Chang HM, Elfishawy AM, Slatkin DJ, Schiff PL (1984) Planta Med 50:88–90Google Scholar
- 8.Lu GH, Wang LW, Chen JM, Xiao PG (2004) Yaowu Fenxi Zazhi 19:271–274 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhou YY, Chen YX, Zhu B, Li F, Hao L, Li XJ (1988) Acta Pharm Sin 23:938–943 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.Yang H, Wang TZ, Du LL, You YY (2004) West China J Pharm Sci 19:95–196 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 14.Lu G, Wang L, Chen J, Xiao P (1999) Yaowu Fenxi Zazhi 19:271–274 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 15.Lu GH, Chen JM, Xiao PG (1995) Acta Pharm Sin 30:280–285 (in Chinese)Google Scholar