Oil-In-Water Microemulsion LC Determination of Pharmaceuticals Using Gradient Elution
Efficient and novel oil-in-water microemulsion HPLC (MELC) separations of a range of solutes have been performed on conventional reversed-phase HPLC columns using gradient elution. This work follows previous successful separations using isocratic oil-in-water MELC . It was found that by changing certain variables, peak-peak resolution, separation selectivity, efficiency and solute retention could be manipulated. The method was compatible with very low UV detection wavelengths. A robust separation method was developed for the quantitative analysis of 2 steroids in a combination-inhaled product for asthma. The method offered similar chromatography and run time when compared with conventional HPLC modes, thus demonstrating its potential for routine use. Stability-indicating methods were developed to separate synthetic and degradative impurities from the main component peaks in 4 pharmaceutical products. The methods offered quicker analysis times and equivalent selectivity to conventional HPLC modes. In developing the separations the effect on the chromatography of varying the operating parameters was studied.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography Micellar liquid chromatography Microemulsion liquid chromatography Pharmaceutical analysis Selectivity investigation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Malenovic A, Ivanovic D, Medenica M, Jancic B, Markovic S (2004) J Sep Sci 27:1087–1092Google Scholar
- Berthod A, Laserna JJ, Carretero I (1992) J Liq Chromatogr 15:3115–3127Google Scholar
- Kulikov AU, Loginova LP, Samokhina LV (2003) Chromatographia 57:463–470Google Scholar
- Bryant SM, Altria KD (2004) J Sep Sci 27:1498–1502Google Scholar
- Berthod A, Garcia-Alvarez-Coque C (2000) Micellar Liquid Chromatography. Marcel Dekker IncGoogle Scholar
- Torres-Lapasio JR, Massart DL, Baeza-Baeza JL, Garcia-Alvarez-Coque C (2000) Chromatographia 51:101–110Google Scholar
- Berthod A (1986) Adv Colloid Interface Sci 25:3–40Google Scholar
- Eastoe J, Chatfield S (1994) Langmuir, 10:1650–1653Google Scholar
- Budavari S (ed.) (2001) The Merck Index, 13th ed. Whitehouse stationGoogle Scholar
- Altria KD, Clark BJ, Mahuzier PE (2000) Chromatographia 52:758–768Google Scholar
- ICH guidelines Q2A, Text on Validation of Analytical Procedures 1995, www.ich.orgGoogle Scholar