Determination of Carotenoids in the Chinese Medical Herb Jiao-Gu-Lan (Gynostemma Pentaphyllum MAKINO) by Liquid Chromatography
- 120 Downloads
The amount and variety of carotenoids in Jiao-Gu-Lan (Gynostemma pentaphyllum MAKINO), a traditional Chinese medicinal herb which is currently sold in Taiwan and China as herbal tea, were determined by HPLC. Dried Jiao-Gu-Lan samples were ground into fine materials, and the carotenoids were extracted, saponified and subjected to HPLC analysis. A gradient mobile phase of methanol/isopropanol (99/1, v/v) (A) and methylene chloride (B) was used: 100% A and 0% B initially, maintained for 15 min, decreased to 70% A in 45 min, maintained for 15 min, and returned to 100% A in 65 min. A total of 25 carotenoids were resolved within 54 min by using a C-30 column with flow rate at 1.0 mL min−1 and detection at 450 nm. For all the six cultivars of Jiao-Gu-Lan samples, all-trans-lutein was present in largest amount (72–376 μg g−1), followed by cis isomers of lutein (0–72 μg g−1), neochrome (13–65 μg g−1), neoxanthin (0–41 μg g−1), all-trans- α-carotene (0–27 μg g−1), auroxanthin (7–23 μg g−1), violaxanthin (3–22 μg g−1), luteoxanthin (4–19 μg g−1), all-trans-β-carotene (0–7.6 μg g−1), β-cryptoxanthin (0–6.7 μg g−1), and cis isomers of β-carotene (0–1.9 μg g−1), on a dry weight basis.
KeywordsColumn liquid chromatography Carotenoids Jiao-Gu-Lan plant Gynostemma Pentaphyllum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This study was supported by a grant (NSC93-2313-B-030-003) from National Science Council, Taiwan.
- Chen JC, Wang WC, Tsai CC, Chen LD (1999) J Chin Med 10:231–247 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Lee R, Chou LL, Liao DY, Liao HF, Yeh MR, Chong GJ (1988) New Chin Med 4:51–52 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Goodwin TW (1976) in Chemistry and Biochemistry of plant pigments, Academic press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Chen JP, Tai CY, Chen BH (2004) J Chromatogr A In PressGoogle Scholar
- Dolan JW (1987) LC-GC 5:1030–1032Google Scholar
- Chen BH, Peng HY, Chen HE (1995) J Agric Food Chem 43:1912–1918Google Scholar
- Lee MT, Chen BH (2001) Chromatographia 54:613–617Google Scholar
- Saleh MH, Tan B (1991) J Agric Food Chem 39:1438–1443Google Scholar