Failure analysis of a misaligned and unbalanced flexible rotor
- 253 Downloads
Shaft misalignment and rotor unbalance are major concerns in rotating machinery. In order to understand the dynamic characteristics of these machinery faults, a model of a complete motor flexible-coupling rotor system capable of describing these failures was developed. Generalized system equations of motion for a rotor under misalignment and unbalance conditions were derived using the finite element method. A spectral method was developed for resolving the equation of motion. This allows one to obtain and analyze the dynamic response and consequently to identify misalignment and unbalance faults.
Keywordsdynamic response misalignment spectral method spinning system unbalance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.N.D. Perreira and S. Dubowsky: “Analytical Method to Predict Noise Radiation from Vibrating Machine Systems,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Attia Hili, T. Fakhfakh, L. Hammami, and M. Haddar: “Shaft Misalignment Effect on Bearings Dynamical Behaviour,” Int. J. Manuf. Technol., 2004, in press.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Kreuzinger-Janik and H. Irretier: “Unbalance Identification of Flexible Rotors Based on Experimental Model Analysis,” Seventh International Conference on Vibrations in Rotating Machinery, Sep 12–14, 2000 (University of Nottingham, U.K.), pp. 335–46.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Markert, R. Platz, and M. Siedler: “Model Based Fault Identification in Rotor Systems by Least Squares Fitting,” Eighth ISROMAC Conference, Mar 26–30, 2000 (Honolulu, HI), pp. 901–15.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Platz, R. Markert, and M. Siedler: “Validation of Online Diagnostics of Malfunctions in Rotor Systems,” Seventh International Conference on Vibrations in Rotating Machinery, Sep 12–14, 2000 (University of Nottingham, U.K.), pp. 581–90.Google Scholar
- 9.D.L. Dewell and L.D. Mitchell: “Detection of a Misaligned Disk Coupling Using Spectrum Analysis,” J. Vib. Acoust. Stress Reliab. Des. (Trans. ASME), 1984, 106, pp. 9–16.Google Scholar
- 10.Anon: “Velocity and Acceleration Analysis of Universal Joint,” Mach. Des., 1942, 14, pp. 93–94.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Lalanne and F. Guy: Rotor Dynamics in Engineering, John Wiley and Sons Ltd., 1990.Google Scholar
- 12.J.-L. Batoz and D. Gouri: Modélisation des Structures par Éléments Finis (Modeling of Structures by Finite Elements), Editions Hermès, Paris, 1990.Google Scholar
- 13.H.D. Nelson and J.M. Mcvaugh: “The Dynamics of Rotor-Bearing Systems Using Finite Elements,” J. Eng. Ind. (Trans. ASME), 1976, 98, pp. 593–600.Google Scholar