Corrosion behavior in boiling dilute HCI solution of different ceramic coatings fabricated by plasma spraying
- 100 Downloads
An Al2O3 ceramic coating (A), a 13 wt.% TiO2-Al2O3 (13TA) composite ceramic coating, and a Ni-Al-13wt.%TiO2-Al2O3 (NA-13TA) gradient composite ceramic coating were prepared on Q235 steel by plasma spraying. The corrosion behavior of samples sprayed with these coatings in a boiling 5% HCl solution was investigated. It was shown that an A ceramic coating and a 13TA composite ceramic coating were destroyed after immersion for 17 and 23 h, respectively. The NA-13TA gradient composite ceramic coating was still sound after 14 days of immersion. The corrosion resistance of samples with the NA-13TA gradient composite ceramic coating was sharply improved due to the decreased amount of connected pores in the coating. The corrosion of the sample sprayed with the gradient ceramic coating included the partial corrosion of the surface ceramic coating and the interlayer coatings. The corrosion weight loss depended on the degree of open porosity.
Keywordsceramic coating corrosion mechanism gradient coating plasma spraying
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.L. Thorpe, How Recent Advances in Arc Spraying Technology Have Broadened the Ranges of Applications, Proceedings of ITSC’ 88, 1988, p 376–383Google Scholar
- 2.S. Hisao, High Technology Ceramic, Trans., Tung-Chi University Press, Shanghai, China, 1990, p 17 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 3.J.X. Zheng, X. Ai, and Z.L. Ding, Oxidation of Al2O3/TiB2/SiCW Ceramic Composite, J. Chinese. Soc. Corros. Protect., Vol 17 (No. 2), 1997, p 152–156 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 4.J.P. Cai and B. Li, Thermal Spraying Ceramic Coatings, Mater. Mech. Eng., Vol 24 (No. 1), 2000, p 5–7 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 8.Lai, Z.A. Munir, B. Mccoy, and S.H. Risbud, Formation of Functionally Graded Materials Through Centrifugally-Assisted Combustion Synthesis, Proceeding of the Fourth International Smposium on Functionally Graded Materials, 1996, p 275–281Google Scholar