Transmission electron microscopy observation of microstructure of plasma-sprayed nanostructured zirconia coating
- 89 Downloads
Nanostructured zirconia coatings deposited by plasma spraying technique were observed using transmission electron microscopy (TEM). It was found that the as-sprayed nanostructured zirconia coating had bimodal microstructures in terms of grain size distribution in the direction parallel to substrate surface. One was in the range 30–120 nm, which was the dominative structure of the coating, and the other was about 150–400 nm. The cross-section micrograph of the plasma sprayed nanostructured zirconia coating revealed that the coating still exhibited lamellar structure with columnar grains extending through its thickness. In conjunction with partially molten zirconia grains, amorphous regions were found. Domain structure and superlattice structure were observed in the plasma-sprayed nanostructured zirconia coating. The formations of the domain and superlattice structures are discussed in this paper.
Keywordsmicrostructure plasma spraying TEM zirconia coating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R.B. Brandt, I. Paudowski, G. Neuer, and P. Facchais: “Specific Heat and Thermal Conductivity of Plasma Sprayed Yttria Stabilized Zirconia and NiAl, NiCr, NiCrAl, NiCrAlY, NiCoCrAlY Coatings,” High Temp-High Press., 1986, 18(1), pp. 65–77.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Brzezinski, A. Carasin, S. Grenier, E. Kharlanova, G. Kim, and P. Tsantrizos: “Vacuum Plasma Sprayed ZrO2-Based Thermal Barrier Coatings for Aerospace Applications” in Thermal Spray: Meeting the Challenges of the 21 st Century, C.C. Berndt, ed., ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 1998, pp. 1645–52.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Karthikeyan, C.C. Berndt, J. Tikkanen, S. Reddy, and H. Herman: “Plasma Spray Synthesis of Nanomaterial Powders and Deposits,” Mater. Sci. Eng., 1997, A238, pp. 275–86.Google Scholar
- 8.R.S. Lima, A. Kucuk, and C. Berndt: “Bimodal Distribution of Mechanical Properties on Plasma Sprayed Nanostructured Partially Stabilized Zirconia,” Mater. Sci. Eng., 2002, A327, pp. 224–32.Google Scholar
- 13.P. Bengtsson and T. Johannesson: “Characterization of Microstructural Defects in Plasma-Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coatings,” J. Therm. Spray Technol., 1995, 4(3), pp. 245–51.Google Scholar
- 23.W.D. Kingery, H.K. Bowen, and D.R. Uhlmann: Introduction to Ceramic, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1976, p. 69.Google Scholar