Development of refractory silicate-yttria-stabilized zirconia dual-layer thermal barrier coatings
Development of advanced thermal barrier coatings (TBCs) is the most promising approach for increasing the efficiency and performance of gas turbine engines by enhancing the temperature capability of hot section metallic components. Spallation of the yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) top coat, induced by the oxidation of the bond coat coupled with the thermal expansion mismatch strain, is considered to be the ultimate failure mode for current state-of-the-art TBCs. Enhanced oxidation resistance of TBCs can be achieved by reducing the oxygen conductance of TBCs below that of thermally grown oxide (TGO) alumina scale. One approach is incorporating an oxygen barrier having an oxygen conductance lower than that of alumina scale. Mullite, rare earth silicates, and glass ceramics have been selected as potential candidates for the oxygen barrier. This paper presents the results of cyclic oxidation studies of oxygen barrier/YSZ dual-layer TBCs.
KeywordsTBC mullite silicates oxygen barrier APS sputtering small particle plasma spray
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W.P. Parks, E.E. Hoffman, W.Y. Lee, and I.G. Wright: Proc. Thermal Barrier Coating Workshop, NASA Conference Publication 3312, NASA, Washington, DC, 1995, pp. 35–47.Google Scholar
- 4.R.A. Miller: Proc. Thermal Barrier Coating Workshop, NASA Conference Publication 3312, NASA, Washington, DC, 1995, pp. 17–34.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Schaeffer: Proc. TBC Interagency Coordination Committee, Cincinnati, OH, May 19–21, 1997, pp. 99–108.Google Scholar
- 6.B.A. Pint, I.G. Wright, W.Y. Lee, Y. Zhang, K. Prußner, K.B. Alexander: Mater. Sci. Eng. 1998, vol. A245, pp. 201–11.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Sun, E. Chang, and B. Wu: Mater. Trans. JIM, 1993, vol. 34 (7), pp. 614–31.Google Scholar
- 8.K.G. Schmitt-Thomas, U. Dietl, and H. Haindl: Ind. Ceram., 1996, vol. 16 (3), pp. 195–98.Google Scholar
- 10.W.A. Phucharoen: Ph.D. Dissertion, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, OH, 1990.Google Scholar
- 11.A.M. Freborg, B.L. Ferguson, W.J. Brindley, And G.J. Petrus: Mater. Sci. Eng., 1998, vol. A245, pp. 182–90.Google Scholar
- 13.O.C. Brandt: J. Thermal Spraying Technol., 1995, vol. 4 (2), pp. 147–52.Google Scholar
- 14.D. Lee: J. Thermal Spray Technol., 1995, vol. 4 (3), pp. 229–34.Google Scholar
- 15.H. van Esch and W. Greaves: Proc. Int. Gas Turbine and Aeroengine Congr. and Exhib., Birmingham, United Kingdom, June 10–13, ASME, New York, NY, 1996, pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- 16.Advanced Materials and Processes: Metallurgia, 1995, vol. 62 (3), pp. 136.Google Scholar