Interfacial reaction between cubic boron nitride and Ti during active brazing
- 133 Downloads
Thermodynamic and reaction process analyses were performed to understand the joining characteristic during high temperature brazing between cubic boron nitride (CBN) grit and a silver-base filler alloy containing Ti as an active element. Experimental information on the microstructure of the brazed joint, the composition of the interface, and the shape of the compounds formed on the surface of the grit was obtained by scanning electron microscopy, energy-dispersive x-ray, and x-ray diffraction. The results indicate that Ti in the molten filler alloy facilitated good wetting between the solid CBN crystals and braze filler alloy. The transition layer formed by the interaction of TiN and TiB2 was one of the key factors in joining the CBN and steel substrate.
Keywordsactive brazing CBN interfacial reaction reaction process thermodynamic analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A.K. Chattopadhyay, L. Chollet, and H.E. Hintermann, On Performance of Brazed Bonded Monolayer Diamond Grinding Wheel, Ann. CIRP, 1991, 40(1), p 347–350Google Scholar
- 5.B. Xiao and H.J. Xu, Brazing of Single Layer Cubic Boron Nitride Wheel with AgCuTi Alloy under Vacuum Atmosphere, Trans. China Weld. Inst., 2002, 2, p 29–32, in ChineseGoogle Scholar
- 7.M.G. Nicholas and D.A. Mortimer, Ceramic/Metal Joining for Structure Applications, Mater. Sci. Technol., 1985, 1, p 657–665Google Scholar
- 8.A.J. Moorhead and H. Keating, Direct Brazing of Ceramics for Advanced Heavy-Duty Diesels, Weld. J., 1986, 65(10), p 17–31Google Scholar
- 9.R.W. Xu, “Joining of Silicon Nitride to Metals Using Active Brazing,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1994, p 6–7Google Scholar
- 10.J.H. Selverian, O. Neil, and S. Kang, Ceramic-to-Metal Joints, Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 1992, 71(9), p 1591–1599Google Scholar
- 11.Y.P. Lu, M.H. Hu, and L.Q. Gao, Studies of the Joining Mechanism of Metals and CVD BN Ceramics, Vac. Sci. Technol., 1999, 1, p 25–30, in ChineseGoogle Scholar
- 12.S.Y. Zhang and G.H. Min, Study on Reactive Thermodynamics of Ai-Ti-B2O3 System in Cu-Zr Alloy, Foundry, 1999, 12, p 5–8, in ChineseGoogle Scholar
- 16.J.J. Kim, J.W. Park, and T.W. Eagar, Interfacial Microstructure of Partial Transient Liquid Phase Bonded Si3N4-to-Inconel 718 Joints, Mater. Sci. Eng., 2003, A344, p 240–244Google Scholar
- 17.M.Z. Wang and J.B. Zang, Interface Between Ti-Cladding cBN and Metal Alloy Bond, Chinese J. Nonferrous Metals, 1997, 2, p 104–106, in ChineseGoogle Scholar
- 18.J. Chen, F.S. Pan, and M.Y. Gu, Mechanism Study of Wetting in Reactive Metal/Ceramic System, J. Shanghai Jiaotong University, 2001, 35(3), p 364–367, in ChineseGoogle Scholar